Monday, January 11, 2021

Making Summer Plans

 We had a fun walk, when we got to the dam one of Joan's sleds had been left there all night. Her kids went sledding after all ours quit last night. Diane decided to jump on and take a ride this morning.

When Diane got done Joan decided to go but Leo, her grand daughter's dog she is taking care of right now followed her down the hill and ran right in front of her sled forcing her into the woods. I took the video on my phone but forgot it would be sideways and can't figure out how to rotate it. 

On the walk we talked about the canoe trip we are planning in June. Ruth made the reservations at Montauk State Park as their electric sites book up so fast. Even so we were only able to get a family spot (I think that holds 4) and 1 extra then she was able to reserve some basic sites near there. It looks like we will have a nice group going. It's always fun to make plans for summer during the winter months. Gives us all something to look forward to.  After the walk I drove to Stock and Field in Pekin for salt blocks and grain. Almost everything was on sale so I bought 300 pounds of salt and 400 pounds of grain (about all I could push on the cart) then went to check out. The checkout lady told me they could not take a check. I've been paying by check there and was very surprised until she told me Stock and Field would be closing soon. I was very disappointed. I'll have to find another reasonable feed dealer. Once the car was loaded down I drove to the Peoria post office to pick up the Berean mail and had to wait in a very long line. They were only letting 10 people in at a time. I'm not sure why they were so busy. As soon as I got home the middle paddock got a salt block, Oksana's paddock got a salt block and Valiant's paddock got a salt block. The other paddocks all still had blocks. The last 3 were taken over to the cabin, Mike can take them to Middle Grove next time he goes. The grain was unloaded then the bale feeders were pulled out and made ready for the new bales. The only problem was the skid steer key was missing. Instead of moving bales I went to Diane's office to reconcile the check book. Mike was there so I told him about the salt blocks and he informed me he still had a new block at the cabin at Middle Grove and the horses still had blocks out there. He also informed me since winter has been mild so far we will have an over abundance of hay. The bales there are huge and wonderfully green so instead of selling them I may have them hauled here. When I got home I started going through all of Mark's pockets until I found the skid steer key then moved 3 bales in, 2 in the middle paddock for Mika and Ripper and one in the short shelter for Irish. Oksana was moved next to Valiant so she can be watched to see if she will come in season. We believe she has lost her foal that was due April 30th. It really is ok though she is a wonderful riding horse and we plan on doing lots of riding this summer.


Mark got home just as I finished up and went out to work on that big downed branch that had fallen across the drive and smashed the fenceline. On Saturday he cut some of it up and used the skid steer to drag it near the wood shed.
He worked outside until dark then came in for supper. Tonight we had fried chicken, salad, cooked carrots and new potatoes. Dinner was very satisfying. Fried chicken is my favorite.  

No comments:

Post a Comment