Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Vet Visit

 We were both up early so had plenty of time to get everything done and be at mom's at 7:30 am.  Mom wanted a bath this morning and I heard the hot tub jets going off as I was cooking the bacon.  That was put on hold so I could help her get her hair washed. Breakfast was served a little late but tasted delicious. Farm fresh eggs, crispy bacon, toast for mom but I added a vine ripened tomato with mine. After breakfast we watched the birds at the feeder. There were two  hummingbirds flitting around to the two feeders. I only videoed one of them as they would come flying in so fast and scare the other one off.

I called Dr. Hoerr's office early to see if today I could bring Indy and her colt in to have the colt checked and Hercules, the orphan colt for his Coggins test and health papers.  Emma thought if I brought them in around 3:00 pm they would fit them in. Karin arrived back at mom's at 1:30 pm so I left to start loading horses. The mares were across the dam which meant a pretty good hike to bring them in and when I did Oksana wanted to follow Indy out instead of her colt. I finally took Oksana out and tied her to the breeding stand then tied up Sheena and finally I was able to get Indy and her colt out of the paddock without another mare following. Indy and her colt were loaded then the other two mares untied and put back in the paddock. I found a halter that would fit Indy's colt and put that on him in the trailer. He wasn't very happy about it. He was almost too strong at 13 days old. He was tied next to his mom so I could get Hercules in the trailer without Indy's colt jumping out. Hercules decided he didn't want to be haltered and I didn't want a fight so just haltered Dollar, opened the gate and Hercules followed Dollar right into the stall. Then he stood quietly for haltering. He was tied until Dollar was turned back outside then led to the trailer and loaded. At that point Indy's colt was untied. He is just too young to be trailered while tied. I left for the clinic and arrived there just before 3:00 pm. Of course I had to wait but while waiting an adorable mini Sheepadoodle puppy was brought in.

She was such a cute ball of fluff weighing about 18 pounds. The next dog that walked into the clinic was a 2 year old Irish Wolf Hound. She was a BIG girl but also very friendly.
About that time a Bulldog came waddling out of one of the exam rooms.
Today was the day for dogs. I went out to check on the horses and 3 more cars arrived all with dogs to be taken care of.  It was getting hot in the trailer so Hercules was taken out and tied.
He did very well for his blood draw for the Coggins. Dr. Hoerr and LeeAnn were impressed with his behavior, how quiet he stood tied until I told them this was the bucket colt. The next job was to check Indy's colt for an inguinal hernia. He does have one on the right side. The left is fine. Dr. Hoerr said they usually correct themselves in 3 or 4 months but decided to do acupuncture to help. He was sedated for that. Below they are all loaded up ready to head home.
Dr. Hoerr recommended coming back the next two weeks to do the acupuncture two more times. If I can get them to fit us in I will bring a mare each time for ultrasounds.  I made it home just before 5:30 pm, put the horses back in their paddocks and headed down to the house to make supper. I made a couple BLT's as we didn't have a lot of time. We needed to leave tonight at 6:05 pm to drop mom's car off at Zanes. That needs the brakes looked at tomorrow morning. From there we headed to church. Gregg Rumbold had the message tonight on Luke 14.











No comments:

Post a Comment