Friday, January 21, 2022

A Cold Friday

 Our house was pretty cold this morning. Mark turned the 'real' furnace on until we could get the wood burners going. Of course it WAS 0 degrees outside. After both wood burners were burning brightly we brought in 6 more loads of wood from the shed. It was my turn to be at mom's this morning so I headed over at 7:20 am and met Joan as she was coming out of the house. Mom had a decent night, only waking at 2:00 am and 6:00 am. When mom woke at 2:00 am she immediately told Joan, "good morning." When Joan told her it was only 2:00 am she was surprised but went back to sleep without a problem. She is on 2 muscle relaxers a day but we may have to up that to 3 a day. She had a lot of problems with her left leg contracting.  Anna relieved me at 10:30 am which gave me enough time to drive to CEFCU to meet the trailer owner at 11:00 am to pick up the title to the trailer. That went very smoothly. The next stop was to get gas, the car was on empty, then to Sam's to pick up dinner for Sunday's meal. I found some chuck roasts on sale for $5.00 a pound. Crazy that was always considered the 'cheap meat' and could be picked up for less than $2.00 a pound not that long ago.

Each package was a little over 3 pounds so I bought 2 of them.  Taunya has a wonderful recipe for that. I called her to ask if she would make it for the dinner for next Sunday. I'll drop off the meat, vegetables and a crock pot and pick up Taunya tomorrow on our way to visit baby Zeke.  Speaking of tomorrow Iris has been spending a few days with Israel and Elisabet while her mommy was busy having Zeke. We made arrangements to pick Iris up at 8:30 am then head to Sarah's and pick her up before heading to Taunya's and finally Rhoda's house. The other thing that must be done as soon as we get back is to pick up the new trailer. When I got back to mom's this afternoon Anna updated how the morning went then left. Karin arrived back at the perfect time as I needed her help with one of the transfers. Mom was not able to stand today. She WAS able to smile though at the thought of Aunt Jinnie coming. 
Mark brought us supper tonight from the Vietnamese restaurant. Ruth arrived just in time for dinner and gave us an hard update on Fedi. He will need to go to a nursing home when discharged from the hospital. His leg is so fragile he will need therapy. Skylines is full but Dean is checking to see if anything can be done.  We were all shocked. Fedi has been so strong for a long time. After supper Mark and I headed home. I had chicken ready for cooking and wanted to make a big pot of soup yet this evening. Mark helped peel the carrots.
While I chopped the celery, onions, mushrooms and the carrots as soon as they were peeled. The other ingredients were all added as soon as the chicken and vegetables were cooked.  I made 2 pots full. Below is the larger pot.
John wasn't feeling well today so a lot of this soup will be going to him.  I also want to take a couple quarts to Rhoda and Lee's house along with some fruit. Once the soup was done it was put in containers and put out on the porch. It is 14 degrees outside so the soup will probably be frozen solid by morning.  Evan's shelter was checked and he will be out of hay tomorrow.  I will need to wait until afternoon for the weather to heat up some so will need to throw him a square bale early.  I think I'd better head to bed now, tomorrow will be busy.




No comments:

Post a Comment