Saturday, September 21, 2024

Locked Out

 Before making breakfast the horses were put out, the stalls were cleaned, the barn aisle ways swept, the manure picked up from the drive where it fell out of the manure spreader and the apartment was checked, the lights turned on and the air set to 74 degrees. 

I let the wheel barrow get too full making it really hard to get to the manure pile. Either that or the tire was low.
 
I noticed Madiera and her colt were near the mare pasture. See that line across in the picture below? That little rope is electric fence rope. It is not hooked up to anything but that tiny wire keeps the mares in the field.
I have the mare pasture gate open to the big field so the horses can go in there to get a drink if needed.
Mark was told about the tire while I was cooking breakfast. As I was driving the golf cart over to mom's I noticed the horses that had been in the field were in the mare pasture meeting Evan. 

I was at mom's by 9:30 am. Karin and mom were out on the deck. Mom was busy dead heading the flowers. Karin left when I arrived. It was too nice to go inside so mom and I were enjoying the birds and the sunny weather. I'm not sure what these pretty purple flowers are called on mom's deck. While we were sitting there a humming bird arrived to take a few sips of nectar.

Above mom has finished with the flowers and saw the Lillypad raft on the yard. She wanted that swept off and put under the deck. Below I am just starting to sweep. I pulled it under the deck and got it swept off of the green side.
Once that was clean it was flipped and left above ground so the other side could dry. Then it was back up on the deck to join mom.
We went in by 10:30 am as it was getting warm. At noon we left for Morton, IL stopping at Culvers for lunch. We were supposed to pick up Nancy at 1:30 pm to take her to the ice cream social so had plenty of time to eat lunch.
We took our time as Culvers is just 5 minutes from Nancy's house. We went out to get into the wheel chair van about 1:20 pm, the wheel chair was put in and secured down by the 6 different straps including the seat belt. The ramp was put back in and both the ramp door and the front passenger door where then shut. I walked around to the drivers side door and was shocked to find it locked. Not only was that door locked but so were all the other doors. Mom is locked in the wheel chair and could not reach the latch, could not pull up the door lock and couldn't reach the buttons to hit the unlock. What a helpless feeling. I knew there is supposed to be a key somewhere on the outside of the van but didn't know where to look and couldn't find it. Meanwhile my phone is in my purse which is hanging on the back of the wheel chair and the van is running. All of the windows are shut so it was hard for mom to hear me so I'm standing outside the van yelling to mom, "Try to reach and try to pull the lock up" finally I asked her, "do you want me to call the police?" She did not, she was laughing hard at the situation as was I. Finally she stopped laughing enough to pull herself forward just enough she was able to hit the unlock button. Thank goodness! By this time it was 1:40 pm. We drove straight to Nancy's but they had already sent her with the group. We drove to Life Points found a handicap spot to park and found Nancy. I caught Nancy's reaction to seeing mom in the picture below.
Mom and I went inside to get some ice cream then sat with Nancy to eat that and enjoy the band that was playing and singing.
Nancy went back with the group and we headed home. I had someone coming to check out the Little Guy camper so needed to get that plugged in and the air turned on. The dinette was made into a bed so I could show the prospective buyer how that worked.  She arrived with her mother, they loved the camper and she is going to go to the bank on Monday to see about financing. They really wanted to meet the horses so were given a tour around the place and met every horse.  After they left I called in Leah thinking the others would follow. She came running so fast she left them all behind ran into the paddock took a couple bites of grain then realized Oliver wasn't with her. This mare has such a strong maternal instinct, she left the grain, ran back into the field found Oliver and brought him back with her.
He is not related to her AT ALL. She really has adopted him, the fact that she left her grain to go back for him is astounding. I had to go find Madiera and her colt but as soon as they realized where they were going went right into the paddock. By this time it was after 6:00 pm and we were ready for supper. Thank goodness for leftovers. I heated up some frozen spaghetti, threw together a salad, added a spoonful of cottage cheese, fried up a piece of  keto bread for Mark and WaLa supper.














No comments:

Post a Comment