Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Cement Work

I had a bad morning. Mark went out to get the truck, as soon as he got up to the top of the hill he saw the horses in Raven's old paddock start kicking at each other and one of them hit the automatic waterer in that paddock and sent it flying. Water was pouring out everywhere. I scrambled to get up there, got in the paddock to lift it back up and saw the float was broken off. I was able to jam some rocks then wire the valve up so it was just dribbling out.

Jewel and Sally were moved out of that paddock into the paddock next to Valiant.
The other two won't kick so hopefully the waterer will be fine for the day. I left then for the walk. We were going to walk but it started  raining lightly so instead Ruth and I went to mom's house. Ruth gave us updates on her boondocking trip out West. She said they loved it but the van was kind of small and they kept losing things. One time Fedi told her, "I just spent an hour going through the van looking for my shorts and just saw I'm WEARING them!" of course we laughed at that one. It was pouring by the time mom and I needed to leave for the Berean office. We ended up with almost a half an inch of rain. We had a very busy day at the Berean office. We didn't leave there until after 12:00 pm and made it to the Hanna City post office right at 12:30 pm. Kathy, the post mistress was just locking up when she saw us arrive and waited for us to drop off the 2 full mail boxes. Below are some pictures of our morning.


We had one surprise study come in from Gulf Shores, Alabama. 

When I got back to the farm Mark and Mackenson has just finished pouring the concrete for the waterer in the Middle paddock and were ready to move over to the new barn.
Below Mackenson is getting ready to throw the cement bags away.
Mark had dropped off the cement at the barn then he and Mackenson came back with the skid steer to pick up the cement mixer.
While they were getting that I put the horses out to graze.
 As soon as they settled down to graze I came back to help Mark load the cement mixer.
I drove the golf cart over to the new barn to help Mackenson hook up the hose and extension cord as Mark brought the mixer.
Then we went to work.
Mark and I used a board going back and forth to make it level and smooth. I left when he was done needing the extra hands so I could move a bale in for Leah and Madiera's paddock.
They were given one of the really good bales as Madiera is a nursing mother and the 2 colts need the quality to grow. By the time I finished that Mark was ready to bring the mixer back and load it back into the truck for so he can return it tomorrow. That took both of us to get it into the truck.
Once that was done the horses were called back in and grained.
In the picture above they are each eating out of a bucket. Usually Madiera and her colt share a bucket but not today. Oliver is the only one brave enough to eat out of the green bucket near Leah's and only because she has adopted him. If any other horse would get close she would threaten to kick them.
About that time I heard from Aunt Jinnie that the flight to Chicago was cancelled and they were sending her to Charlotte but would not not get to Peoria until 9:33 pm instead of 6:00 pm. I was letting the family know when Joan offered to pick her up as she stays up late and we go to bed early. Just a few minutes ago Aunt Jinnie sent another text that she missed the flight to Peoria and now would be coming in tomorrow at 4:00 pm. At least they are going to get her a hotel room. At 95 years old she NEEDS to rest. The airlines are just not dependable anymore. 










No comments:

Post a Comment