Saturday, April 23, 2022

Little Worried

 We had a very busy day. I went out early to feed the cat and take care of the horses as I was due at mom's as soon as she woke up. Soul and her colt were standing at the gate waiting to be let out and all seemed well except the colt was not running and bucking like yesterday. He was standing, nursing well but just didn't seem quite right. I felt him, he didn't seem to have a fever, these was no sign of diarrhea and his umbilical cord was dry so as soon as both mares and foals were out in the field I just stood and watched. He just seemed a little depressed. These foals crash so quickly that if I could see anything I was going to text Dr. Hoerr. I finally left for mom's around 8:00 am thinking maybe I'm just imagining something.  My airbnb guests sent a text that they checked out about 8:30 am and it was still before Karin had left for the day so I asked her to stay with mom while I got the laundry started there and the colt seemed ok at that time. Mom and I had a quiet morning. The wind started blowing hard slamming doors as we had the windows open. For the first time in a long time it was really warm.  When Ruth arrived I ran home and the colt was still up and nursing.  Rosalie was teased and today she stood well for Evan. Ruth was walking over to the farm with mom on her scooter to see the foals as I was putting Evan away.  After admiring them we were walking to the new barn and met Faith and Berlica. They had been gathering flowers and making hair decorations. 


They were also dressed alike, they almost look like twins. On the walk Miss Molly found the perfect mud puddle to lay down in, too bad I didn't take the picture soon enough to get that. 
We made it into the barn and mom got lots of practice with her scooter chasing the girls. 
After all that fun it was time for me to get busy.  The apartment needed to be cleaned and made ready for the guests coming in today. Mark was needed for the next few jobs.  There were two paddocks needing bales. We put one in for Sally, Dancer and Rocky's paddock and one bale in the middle paddock for Cookie, Irish and Rosalie.
Rosalie was behind Irish so had to take another picture.
Next we hooked the skid steer to the Wolf Pup camper and drove that over to Joan's. That camper is leaving May 2nd for the first rental and Joan wanted it over to get all the dust off. Once that one was dropped off Mark took the skid steer over to the wood pile, scooped up a load of logs and dropped them at our wood shed for splitting at a later date then headed back into the barn to get the next trailer.  We did this until 3 trailers were at Joan's.
I have one more trailer to bring over but that one needs to be picked up at the trailer repair place first. Below is Mark taking the skid steer from the trailers over to the wood pile.

We filled the bucket with big logs for splitting. Below is Mark dumping the last load of the day.
The skid steer was put away then the two mares with their 3 day old foals were put back in the indoor arena for the night.  Soul's colt is still a little off but I'm not sure why. I didn't call the vet today, he is not showing any clear symptoms, no cough, fever, wet cord, no belly ache that I can tell, he just seems a little depressed. I guess I'll see how he is in the morning. Before heading to the house to make supper I stopped in at the apartment and turned on the air conditioner. For yesterday's guest I needed the furnace turned on but today it was over 80 outside and the apartment was warming up.  The guests are arriving around 9:00 pm tonight. Supper tonight was a chicken salad sandwich on toast, chips and a bowl of soup. Mark thought it was delicious. He needed a hair cut before heading to bed. It has been a busy day. Sure am praying Soul's colt is fine in the morning. Now for an update from the lady that bought of Zalena. We sold Zalena during the height of the pandemic and the lady that bought her asked her to be bred to Evan before picking her up. She sent this picture: 
This is Zalena's filly by Evan. Isn't she gorgeous! This is what she wrote. Here was Marra today, in the wind and alert to something that was moving around! She's a very opinionated brat-hahaha!!








 





No comments:

Post a Comment