Saturday, April 30, 2022

Cooking and Baking

 Ruth was staying with mom this morning and decided to take her down to the river front museum. It was free today. They were there for about 3 hours and also enjoyed the planetarium.

Ruth said the morning was a success. Mom enjoyed it but had to remark this planetarium was not nearly as impressive as the one she went to as a child in New York City.
Early this morning I pulled soup bones out of the fridge where they had been placed on Friday and was so surprised now that they were defrosted to find the packages soft. They were opened and this was not like any soup bones I've had in the past. 
These were more like fine cuts of meat with a bone in the middle. I saved 4 back for Mark to grill tomorrow. They are much too nice for soup. The frozen tongue was also defrosted so that plus 4 of those really good looking soup bones were put to boil.
While that was boiling I ran up to the barn to take care of the horses and cat. At 9:00 am I left for Aldi to buy the vegetables needed for the soup along with tomatoes, avocados, onions hamburger buns, hotdog buns and more salad mix for tomorrow's meal.  I parked next to a very unusual car. 
of course that bass needed a close up.
The sign on the door.
I wish I had the time to wait for the owner to come back so I could get some history on that bounty hunter. Since we now have over 100 pounds of hamburger in the freezer, we will be serving on Sunday, that and some of those good all beef nitrate free hotdogs. I also picked up some more cans of solid white tuna and noticed the price went up another 25 cents per can.  There really doesn't seem to be any slowing of this awful inflation. The bass car was gone by the time I finished my shopping and got back to the car.  By the time I got home the meat was cooked enough to peel the tongue lining off and slice it thin. I also deboned the meat off of the soup bones and removed any fat.  This was the easiest soup bones I've ever cooked. Usually they are big leg bones with just scraps of meat left on them. Below is the pile of good useable meat for this pan of soup with the scraps off to the right.
The scraps were taken over to mom's for the dogs there.  Both Studly and Molly enjoyed chewing on that tough tongue skin. The meat was put back in the broth then the carrots, onion, celery and mushrooms were chopped up and added to the pot along with some savory herbs. This was left to simmer for hours. This afternoon it was cooled then put in containers.
Most was put in my fridge but the cool whip containers full of soup were shared around here.  Diane came over with a container of turkey soup she made yesterday.  We had that for dinner tonight. The last thing cooked today was 2 pumpkin dump cakes for our dinner tomorrow. 






No comments:

Post a Comment