Saturday, April 9, 2022

Hard Working Saturdday

 My work started at 7:00 am.  I was moving Irish and her colt out to the pond pasture after placing Soul and Cookie there when mom called.  I looked down at the phone and saw her name and thought, "I wonder why Karin is using mom's phone" before answering. It was actually mom on the phone. She said, "Judy I'm ready for breakfast and would like sausage and eggs this morning." The answer to that was, "I'll be there in 5 minutes." and I made it there in 4. Karin decided after yesterday of mom using Google to call Rhonda that she may as well be the caller each morning.  It was below freezing when I arrived, the puddles were all frozen over and mom's deck was slick with ice but the sun was out and that made everything inviting.  It was nice enough by noon to have lunch on the deck. 

As long as we stayed out of the wind we could easily handle the 45 degrees.  Rachel arrived at 1:00 pm to take my place. I went straight to the barn to tell Phil and the girls that lunch was coming from the Warehouse and would be here by 1:30 pm. They were more than ready for lunch. Taegan and Kensley had been helping their dad in the barn since early this morning.  After lunch they went back out to help while I cleared the net wrap out of one of the shelters and put in a new bale.  Skye is coming in for breeding to Evan tomorrow afternoon and I needed to have a paddock ready for her.  Skye is out of Sheena by Valiant.  While I was doing that I noticed Irish, Soul and Cookie were across the pond but when I finished they crossed the dam to come see what I was doing. They had all obviously had a good time rolling in the soft squishy dirt (mud) on the other side of the pond.
That made it convenient to tease Irish and sure enough she is in her foal heat but not yet ready to stand. Will try on Sunday after church when I have help. I sat down to watch them a bit and Irish had to come over to smell my stinky shoes.
Her colt saw what she was doing and had to come smell them for himself.
I moved Irish's forelock off her face and noticed she has the most unique face markings.
When I was teasing Irish her colt took off running for Soul and Cookie. They looked on in alarm a little worried that Irish would come after them for being too close to her baby.
He whirled and came galloping back to mama.
I finished horsing around and went to help Mark who was repairing the fence that got taken down when the septic field was going in for the new barn. The girls showed me what they had done this morning before coming out to help grandpa with fencing.
They helped their dad by putting all of the bolts together.
That was just one of their jobs. They also moved gravel up next to the barn.  They were glad to come help grandpa.

They saw Joan bringing Berlica home so as soon as they cut those wires I told them they were free to go play.  Mark and I worked together until 4:55 pm. I signed up to take today's late shift yesterday when I found myself unexpectedly free and was due back at mom's by 5:00 pm to relieve Rachel.  Rachel had baked a pan of banana bread and they had that with tea at 3:00 pm so supper was put off until after 6:00 pm. After supper mom wanted a hot tub and what mom wants mom gets.  She remarked, "I feel so spoiled."  
















No comments:

Post a Comment