Monday, July 1, 2024

Perfect Working Weather

 Another beautifully cool morning. Today ended up being perfect working outside weather.  Just Diane and I walked this morning, Joan was not back from Bluffton and Ruth was watching Rebekah's kids. When we were getting ready to walk over the dam this frog was just in the process of crossing the road. He hunkered down and pretended to be a rock while taking his picture. We would not have bothered him.

Frogs eat insects and the only time they are threatened around here are during Indian camp when they will harvest a few sets of frog legs for the Indians to eat on the survival day. After the walk I went to work cleaning the barn. The next time it is rented is Thursday, same as the apartment. I finished around lunch time and found that David had Israel and Elisabet here over at Rachel's Funday Monday.
 Jake Gerst was also there fishing. I didn't recognize him as he wasn't wearing his Oogie Boogie man costume. He caught a fighting striper.
Rachel has her retaining wall decorated with a pair of peacocks and some beautiful petunias and other flowers.

Rachel and Leah were up on the deck shelling pecans from the tree at their Cottage in Hanna City. I sat and helped a bit and was served a delicious cold glass of mint tea. Israel and Elisabet came up on the deck to pet the pugs Lucy and Lilly.
Rachel gave them a freezer pot.
It wasn't terribly hot today, I think the high was just in the 70s so the kids didn't really want to swim but when Rachel turned on the water slide I asked Israel to try it out.
The guys took out 2 canoes and one kayak to fish other parts of the lake.
I left then as I needed to tease mares and move in a couple bales. Mark was busy weed whacking at the barn when I went by on my way to the other barn.
Jewel was teased first, she was still in so was covered by Evan.  Madiera was teased next. She did not show at all. She is so worried about her colt that I can't get her anywhere near the stallion. That colt is 5 weeks old and I haven't been able to catch her in season. Mike's TB mares were teased next. Bulu was for sure showing and I thought Holly may also be coming in. Mike was sent a text. He said he would arrive in a half an hour so Bulu was put in the breeding shed paddock. Mike brought her out, tied her to the breeding stand and I brought Valiant up, when he went to mount Bulu panicked and threw herself backward. She didn't break anything but by the time we had her calmed down Valiant was not interested. I think he was a little afraid of being kicked. We put Bulu away and brought Holly out. With two people it was easier to see that yes she was starting to wink but she was not able to be bred, we discovered she had a caslick procedure done probably because she was raced. That is where the edges of the vulva lips are sutured closed to prevent aspiration of air and feces. For a breeding mare this must be opened back up before the cover can be accomplished. Mike will need to take her to Dr. Hoerr to get that done. We will try to get Bulu covered tomorrow morning. Mark came out to help move the bales in. The Thoroughbred mares got a new bale. This is our own first cutting hay but put up early enough it is not stemmy and is still nice and green.

The second bale was placed in the middle paddock. I was just snapping a picture when Missy stuck her nose in and grabbed a big bite.
Mark hung a new clothes line up today as our last one gave out. I put that right to work drying rugs.
Both Mark and I missed Rizzy this morning. We had rabbits back in the garden. We may need to borrow her again, she loved chasing rabbits. She never caught one but she sure did keep them out of the garden. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment