Monday, July 8, 2024

Aichen Pregnant

 Right after our walk I took the golf cart over the dam to the pond pasture and put a halter on Madiera then put her and her colt in a stall. Mike arrived with his truck, hooked up the stock trailer then loaded Aichen and Holly. Madiera and her colt were brought out next and loaded into the back of the trailer. We were a little late for our appointment time but it was a Monday and that meant emergencies so we had to wait about 45 minutes.

Aichen was put in the stocks first with Holly tied next to her. 
IT didn't take long for Dr. Hoerr to pronounce her pregnant. She was covered on June 6th by Valiant and is due May 17th, 2025.
She was taken out of the stocks and Holly put in. Holly is also a Thoroughbred mare off the track and what we didn't see when she was purchased was that she had been give a caslick where her vulva was sewn up and that meant it had to be cut open before she could be covered. She was given a local and that was done relatively quickly. 
We know she was in season last week so Dr. Hoerr gave us a shot to short cycle her next week. Last was Madiera. She didn't want to go in the stocks and pulled back a couple times but within a few minutes walked in. Mike just held her colt.

Why we brought her was she was so concerned with her colt that she would allow me to take her close to the stallion so I could not catch her in season. Dr. Hoerr found she had a 37 mm follicle so she was given a shot to make sure she comes into season and tomorrow I should be able to start getting her covered.

I thought I asked nicely for Mike to tie them up and come help load the two Thoroughbred mares into the front of the trailer but evidently he didn't hear me so I walked back and said, "tie the colt up so we can load the mares."  then walked back out. Mike turned to LeeAnn who offered to hold the colt, and said, "Diane and I have been partners with her for 22 years and she is still bossing me around."  to which LeeAnn replied, "Judy bosses ALL of us around."  REALLY? Am I known as bossy? I thought I was so easy to get along with, just ask Mark.  We got the horses home Titus was given his Sulfa, the colt's halter was taken off and the mares put away then I left for Gordon Food Service to see about buying some desserts for the Wednesday night dinner. Those were so expensive I just couldn't buy any and instead went to Sam's. There I bought 2 key lime pies, 2 crumb cakes, 2 huge watermelons, all the salad stuff including the craisens, shredded cheese and sliced almonds and 2 cases of water. Those were dropped off at the fellowship hall before coming home.  Joan has offered to make scotcheroos and I'll plan on baking a few more pies to go with the other desserts . After that I really needed a nap and took one not waking until supper time. This evening the horses were checked on, the middle paddock will need a new bale tomorrow and I may put a new one in Ribbon's old paddock so a couple horses can be moved in there. The other thing we are missing is pictures of Aichen, Bulu, and Holly so they can be added to the Horsemeister website. I'll need to get those done before we take them back out to Middle Grove. Of the 5 Thoroughbred mares we now for sure have Sheena, Blueberry and Aichen bred, more than likely Bulu is bred but too soon for her sonagram, just have Holly to get covered.  








No comments:

Post a Comment