Monday, October 17, 2022

Gulf Shores

 Yesterday was a blur but the morning was actually funny. I was careful to make sure Mark left at 8:00 am for Hy-Vee to pick up the 6 dozen glazed croissants. He made it there and they had no record of my order. He called to ask, exactly which Hy-Vee did I place the order. I'm trying to tell him it was the one nearest church when he asked, "is there anyway you ordered them from Schnucks?" Yep that was the problem. He drove to Schnucks, told them he was here to pick up the 6 dozen donuts and they gave him one box of 6 donuts. He was able to convince them that he was the Judy that ordered the 6 dozen. They gave him a discount so the 6 dozen were $50.00 and no tax as it was for a church.  I didn't do so well at Casey's. First the lady told me they weren't quite done, she needed to write on the box what each box held. I asked her for the receipt so I could go pay for them while she was doing that and she handed me the paper towel that had been written on with my order.  I got in line to pay (just 2 people ahead of  me and 1 behind) waited semi patiently then get to the counter and the check out lady starts explaining the flips are not the same price as the donuts. I told her I knew that but she wanted to make sure I knew they cost more. By this time it was 8:35 am and I knew Mark would be late. We were supposed to meet David and Stephanie and Diane and Faith at 9:00 am. I exclaimed, "yes I know the flips are more, I'll pay your asking price, just please give me the donuts!"  Only then did she run the bill, I paid then went over to start hauling them out. The lady in the bakery told me I'll have to wait while she gets help to carry them. "I'll carry them, just give me some boxes and I'll take a few trips!" was my answer. She very slowly handed me 2 boxes. Then I had to explain. "I'm a farm girl, give me a LOT of boxes!" Obviously when one comes into Casey's dressed for church with a head covering on, you get treated very differently from a person in barn clothes. They really didn't recognize me in Sunday clothes with my hair brushed and face clean. All of that and we were less than 5 minutes late. We had good help and lunch was a success. Diane had brought a bunch of mom's ripe tomatoes and sliced some for the sandwiches. Below is what our food line looked like once ready. IT took two pictures to get it all in.


There was plenty for everyone. Diane, Faith and I left as soon as it was obvious that there would be plenty and Sarah, Anna and Stephanie had it all under control. I talked to Mark at 9:00 pm to find out how the rest of the day went. He told me there was WAY to many of the glazed croissants from Schnucks but not a lot of left overs otherwise. I that point I remembered why, I had forgotten those are cut in half. We pulled out of the church parking lot by 11:45 am for our trip to Gulf Shores. It was a smooth, quick trip of only 12 hours and 40 minutes. We had 2 stops for gas, each took about 6 minutes and pulled in at Island Royal at 12:29 am. Joan had been tracking Faith's phone and met us at the elevator to help bring up Faith and all the supplies we brought from home. Diane and I went on to her condo and crashed for the rest of the short night. So thankful everything went well at church and we made it down safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment