Monday, June 20, 2022

TWO NEW FOALS

 Diane and I had a surprise this morning. Mom came on the walk with her scooter. Ruth got her ready and we were off. It went well except mom thought it was just too bumpy. She asked about taking the walker instead but that really isn't an option. 

As soon as the walk was over I loaded up Jury and took her to Middle Grove to pick up Oksana and Jewel. That didn't go as planned as BOTH of those mares had a foal by their side.  Mike and Diane checked on them Friday and there were none. It was obvious that Oksana's was just a few hours old. Jewel's was moving too well to be born today but when I checked her cord she was not more than a day old so her filly was born Yesterday. Jewel saw me coming and there was no way she was going to come home with me. What Jewel doesn't realize is her black baby would not be able to survive with this coming heat. Tomorrow is supposed to be 98 and sunny. That black coat soaks up the sun and the foal will quickly become over heated and die.  

Oksana came right up to show her big colt off. He was still unsteady on his legs and pretty new, probably just a few hours old.
The rest of the foals out there all looked good. Below is Lily's filly by Valiant.
Below is Tatiana's colt by Valiant.
And of course Irish and her colt by Valiant.
Jury was glad to get back out there. 
Below is another picture of Tatiana and her colt.
Below is Dancer (Jewel's 2020 filly by Evan) with Indy.

Jewel was pretty careful to stay far away but I was able to get a peek and saw that she had a filly.
Oksana and her colt were taken right to the trailer, loaded up and put in a stall once home. He was glad to be in a stall that didn't move, nursed then laid down and took a nap. Below is a short video of him walking around his mom then latching on.

The fan was turned on but not the air as it was still cool inside the barn. I was cleaning out the trailer when I saw a big bald eagle fly over head. I walked behind the barn to see if I could get a picture ofit but it was out of sight instead there were 4 of those disgusting turkey vultures circling around.
Something must be dead in the next field over.  The next trip out was at noon. Mike, Diane, Jennifer and Barb wanted to come too for this trip but drove separate. Mike took them down to the cottage and then brought the jeep over.  The horses had moved to into the high area where the grasses are waist high. Jewel was determined not to let me get too close.
Below is Indy and Rosaleigh.
Lily's filly is curious and came right over. When Mike arrived with the jeep he fly sprayed all the horses.
Below is a video of Jewel making sure I can't get too close.
In the video Dancer was trying to get attention and kept nudging my arm so at the very end you will hear a disgusted, UGH. It took over an hour but Jewel finally gave up, stood quietly and let me halter her then we started the long walk back. Well Mike walked leading Jewel while the rest of us followed in the jeep. They were loaded and when home put in a stall with fresh water and hay and then the air conditioner was turned on. By this time it was 94 degrees outside. A few pictures of this filly was taken for the website.

This filly is 75% Friesian 25% Thoroughbred and 100% GORGEOUS. She will be tall and already shows tremendous movement at just a day old.  She has a huge tail. Who ever buys her is going to be so thrilled. She will look like a purebred but move like one of those very expensive European warmbloods. I hope she goes to a show home. I ran up a gallon of milk for the orphan then over to Anna's to drop off the money for the cleaning job she did on the apartment.  We have a lady from China moving in tomorrow and Anna has the apartment looking perfect. Taunya picked up two more bags of formula for the orphan and brought there here. A big thanks to her, that saved me a trip to Goodfield. The farmer started baling the hay this afternoon. If I had the energy I would have started moving them into the barn.
Instead I went to mom's to play games with Diane, Rachel and Karin. Mark sent a text that we got 50 bales but those can wait for tomorrow to put away, there is no rain in the forecast.  I left mom's after the first game as I wanted to get the mares and foals outside now that the sun was low in the sky and the evening cooling down.
As soon as they were out the stalls were cleaned.  I have one more job to do and that is to make up 2 gallons of milk for the orphan and get it up to the paddock.  I did so much walking today out at Middle Grove that I'm more than ready to hit the sack.

















No comments:

Post a Comment