Friday, June 3, 2022

Busy Friday

 Today was extremely busy. As we were finishing up with the walk around 8:00 am I called the feed store to see if the truck had arrived with the colt's formula and it had not. I ended up calling 4 times today but didn't get a yes answer until 4:30 pm and they close at 5:00 pm and don't open again until Monday. I would have run out by Sunday so called Susan, my sister-in-law who lives in Goodfield. She picked it up for me and Taunya and Ben will bring it tomorrow.  Emma from Hoerr Vet clinic called to cancel Dr. Hoerr coming today. She said if I could bring in a mare they would fit her in for an ultrasound since it was just for a preg check. Then told me to not be in a hurry as he was already busy.  Mike needed a round bale at the cabin field so I opened the gate for that then once the bale was in haltered Rocky and brought him over to try him out as a companion for Soul's orphaned colt. That went much better than expected. They were both glad to be together. I had to watch to make sure Rocky would be gentle with him and he was.

Rocky loves to jump and the camera caught him jumping up on the hill.
They both thought it was fun to climb the hill.
Below the colt is checking to see if perhaps Rocky has an udder. Rocky was very tolerant of him and didn't kick out at all.

Below is a video of them playing then eating together.
When I was sure they were going to be ok together the halters were removed, Rosalie loaded and we were on our way to Hoerr Vet clinic.  
Rosalie is so huge she barely fits in the stocks.

We are PLEASED to announce Rosalie is pregnant. She was bred to Evan and is due April 8th, 2023. 
We could see the heart beat so I took a video of the ultrasound.
She was loaded back up and I headed to Middle Grove but had to stop and put gas in the truck. The gas station on Airport road was $5.19.9 a gallon on the way out and I was hoping Morton, IL would be a little cheaper. It was $5.09.9 a gallon. It about made me sick. Below is my total. I don't make that much in a week and blew everything I had earned and more in about 10 minutes.
The worst was driving from Morton to Middle Grove then back to Hanna City putting over 100 miles on the truck on this tank of gas. What a bummer.  Rosalie was glad to get out there. She couldn't find the other horses at first and I beat her to them so videoed her running up to them. Mika was SO funny. He is the old man of the herd now but check out his reaction to her return. He was jumping for joy.
Below are a few pictures of the horses there. Below is Sheena and Indy.
Dancer, Rosalie and Mika
Mika and Jewel checking out Rosalie.
Left to right Indy, Oksana, Dancer, Sheena, Mika, Jewel and Rosalie.
Indy and Oksana
Sheena was haltered, loaded and brought back to the Hanna  City farm as she is the next mare due.
As soon as I made it back to Hanna City and Sheena unloaded. Ruth and Rachel took mom to the zoo today and sent back these pictures. Below she is standing to get a better view. She is watching the giraffes in the picture below.
They all had a lot of fun.
I brought Rosaleigh out to tease. Yesterday I was pretty sure she was coming in but today she was not wanting anything to do with the stallions. I'll need to try her again tomorrow. She was taken into a stall with her filly and given grain. The filly was given a haltering and tying lesson.  I also pulled hair for her registration papers.
They were put in the new barn pasture, that grass is so tall. Next in was Tatiana and her colt. He was very good for his haltering and tying.
Lily and her filly were next.  I'm happy to say both Tatiana's colt and Lily's filly remembered from the last time.
All 5 of the foals here got handled and hair pulled today. I needed to run down to the house to make up more milk for the colt then cook dinner for mom's house tonight.  I was about 10 minutes late getting the food there and sent a message to Karin that I would be a little late but when I walked in she was cooking. She had not gotten the message.  Since mine was all ready to eat, her's was put away and we feasted. After supper Karin found a movie with cowboys, horses and of course romance. I helped mom get ready for bed when Aunt Jinnie called. She is in California and it was only 6:20 her time but past mom's bedtime at 8:20 pm here. Mom was pretty tired after her big day at the zoo.  I left mom's as it was getting dark so I could get 2 gallons of milk made up for the colt and hang the bucket in the paddock. He is staying out tonight with Rocky. Rocky was given his grain and a little more than a half of square bale was thrown in their paddock for the night. A nice update came in from the family that has Sangria.
They are enjoying her and wrote: Hi, just wanted you to know sangria is doing great, she is really sweet and I think the kids are going to have fun with her.



















No comments:

Post a Comment