Monday, June 6, 2022

PaperWork

After 2 cups of good strong coffee these old bones felt young enough to haul out 2 gallons of formula along with a bucket of grain to start the morning feed. The next job was to tease mares. I thought Rosaleigh was still in, she was brought to the breeding stand and Evan brought up but Evan wasn't that interested.  I asked him to mount and Rosaleigh started kicking so Evan was right.  He was put away, she was put away and Madiera brought over. She is not at all interested so perhaps I missed both of their foal heats. The morning chores were finished with enough time to cook Mark breakfast and wash the night milk buckets. Right after the walk Joan went in to stay with mom and I went inside to keep working on the paper work to registered the first 6 foals.  I started on that yesterday but only got 3 done.  Today I was able to finish all 6 by 10:00 am. I left around then with a stop at the bank to deposit the first of the month checks then to the Peoria post office to pick up the Berean mail.  Mackenson was bringing the mower over to start on the hillside as I was leaving.

When I turned onto State street from Washington I was stuck in a traffic jam for at least 4 minutes.  A garbage truck was stalled in front of a dumpster. There was one car in front and 3 or 4 behind me. We are not used to traffic jams in our area but we were all patient and no one honked.
The Berean mail was taken to the Berean office then I headed for Diane's office to do 2 months of bank recs.  She also had a big enough envelope to send the registrations in and was also willing to take it to the post office later this afternoon as by the time we finished it was 12:40 pm and the post office was closed for lunch. I needed to relieve Joan at 1:00 pm so she could take Faith to the dentist.  They were just finishing up lunch when I arrived. As it was hot and humid outside we watched the movie Harry and the Snowman It is a true story about a plow horse taken off the slaughter truck that became a world champion jumper.  Berlica came over to watch it with us. Rachel relieved me and I went right to the house to make up some milk replacer. The colt is drinking 2 gallons during the night but not so much during the day.  He was given a gallon and a half at 6:00 am but at 5:00 pm had not finished that bucket.  It was probably not tasting very well by then. It is supposed to be good for 12 hours but today was hot and humid. I took 2 quarts of fresh and he sucked that right down. Instead of walking in the paddock to take down the bucket with the old milk I thought I would take a short cut and just lift that bucket over the gate.  Bad decision, the bucket hit the top of the gate and splashed out right on the top of my head covering me with yucky warm milk replacer that had about 5 flies in it.  So gross. The last thing I needed to do for the registration papers was to email in pictures of each of the foals being registered. I had pictures of all but Madiera's filly so ran out to take a few of those.  They need both sides and a front shot. These weren't the best but good enough for the registry.


Mark came in about then and wanted help with lining out the next fence line. 
Rosaleigh and her filly had been turned out there to graze.
She followed us around for a while until she realized I did not have any treats.  We finished with putting in the stakes about the time the thunder started rumbling. Not sure when the storm will hit but we are expecting rain tonight. 





No comments:

Post a Comment