Saturday, June 4, 2022

Sheena Has a Colt

 My day started early and ended late but all is good.  Since Rocky and Soul's colt spent the night outside for the first time since he was orphaned I didn't have a stall to clean. I headed over to mom's just before 8:00 am. Mom and I had a good morning. It was cool, sunny and the birds were singing loudly so after breakfast we went out to the deck. Mom watered the flowers.  We enjoyed watching the birds feeding.


Below is a short video.
Since the day was so nice we went for a walk. We saw that Mark had fixed the trunk of my car, no more tape needed. Now anyone can open the trunk. 
We came to the field and saw that Mark and Mackenson were working on putting down the poles for the new fence.
We walked up to see the foals. Mom was pleased with how well the orphan colt is looking with his companion Rocky.
We made it back to the house and by that time mom was ready for a nap. Mark brought our lunch today from the Warehouse in Hanna City. He bought 2 of their Saturday specials (home made tenderloin and fries) and that was delicious. At 1:00 pm Ruth relieved me so I could clean out the trailer and head to Kickapoo to pick up Madiera and her filly. Only then did I remember the blue tube I found yesterday when I dropped off Rosalie at Middle Grove. I pulled up to the gate, got out of the truck and the tube was in the woods to my left. I loaded it into the back seat of the truck but forgot it was there.
I'll take it over to the lake, maybe someone will recognize it and claim it. Ben arrived with 2 bags of Mare Milk Replacer for Soul's colt. That 80 pounds should last the rest of June.
The trip to Kickapoo went well but I forgot to take any pictures. The filly already leads well and stepped right up into the trailer following her mom. When I got back Madiera was teased and she wanted nothing to do with either stallion. She should be in her foal heat. I have her in the far paddock but may need to move her into the paddock next to Valiant to bring her in.  Rosaleigh is in and was covered by Evan today. Mark wanted help with the digging of the holes for the fence but when we got into the field Philip arrived with the lift.  He wanted to make sure that lift reached the ceiling of the barn as it is 24 feet high. It worked. 
We watched then went back to digging holes.
   Dr. Hoerr called to say he was in Chillicothe and going to be taking care of a horse very near our farm and did we want him to stop by and sonagram Lily?  Of course I said YES! She and her filly were brought into a stall and the filly haltered. That took about a minute. She remembered and didn't fight it at all.
While waiting for Dr. Hoerr I heard Mike bringing the tractor over to hook up the mower.
Mark was busy power washing the tractor when Dr. Hoerr arrived. Mackenson had already power washed the skid steer this morning but Mark wanted to get the auger cleaned up.
Dr. Hoerr came with his 4 wheel drive van, it even has a trailer hitch on the back. This seems to be the perfect vehicle for a vet.
I'm very pleased to announce Lily is expecting her 18th foal and is due April 12th, 2023. The sire of this foal is Valiant. 

She and her filly were loaded up and taken to Middle Grove. Below the filly needed a bathroom break before heading up the hill to find the herd.
Just as I closed the gate Mike sent a text, "call me Sheena just delivered." He sent the picture below. This was at 6:55 pm.
I closed up the trailer and took off for Hanna City and drove right to the cabin field with the truck and trailer. We loaded Sheena and her new colt into the trailer and drove them to the barn where they were made comfortable in the stall and then we waited and waited for the foal to nurse.
He is HUGE for a newborn and very strong but finally had to take a nap before trying to find the milk bar.
The cameras were turned on so we could watch to make sure he nursed and by 8:30 pm it was obvious he had found the milk bar and thought it delicious. Maria stopped on her way home from potluck just as I was heading up to the house to make 2 gallons of formula for Soul's orphan so that colt had to wait while Maria admired the new colt. Mike said I could post him for sale but his price is $10,000.00. This colt is going to be spectacular! 




















No comments:

Post a Comment