Tuesday, June 21, 2022

54 Big Round Bales

 Madiera was teased early this morning and I was surprised when she was for sure not interested. That was a very quick heat and I only got one cover on her. I sent a text to the buyer of her filly to say I would be bringing her back right after work this morning. We all walked this morning but Ruth and I needed to quit early.  Ruth needed to be at mom's by 8:00 am to get her ready for Berean and I should have left the house at 7:45 am but didn't until 8:00 am. That gave me an hour to pick up the Berean mail, drive to Peoria Tire to drop off the trailer tire and get to the Berean office by 9:00 am. We had a fun morning at that Berean office, if you would like to read about our time there click HERE. I left there later than expected and needed to stop at the Hanna City post office to drop off the Bibles then to Diane's office to pick up the checkbook but when I arrived at Diane's she was on the phone. Amy sent a text right then that they were coming out to see the new foals and would be there in a few minutes. I left Diane's without the checkbook and arrived right after Amy. Amy brought 2 girls with her and all 3 were put to work helping me get the mares and foals inside as it was already really hot. I was already late with my next appointment which was to take Madiera and her filly back to Kickapoo but asked Amy to take pictures and send them to me. Below are those pictures. The girls loved the new foals. 





The trip to Kickapoo went well. Once home the air conditioner was turned on in the barn and the orphan colt fed.  Karin sent a text to be at mom's for games and since it was 97 degrees outside that is what I did instead of moving in bales. Beth was there was a very young turkey she was caring for.
We played a couple games then at 4:00 pm I left to get going on the bales. That didn't go very well, the tractor got a flat tire and the skid steer over heated. I cleaned up and ran to Casey's to buy antifreeze but it turned out the skid steer didn't need it. It was just too hot outside. I was able to run it again after an hour. I almost ran over a tiny fawn but was thankful I missed it then had to stop and move a turtle off the road.
At 9:00 pm I still needed to move in 16 more bales but had to quit as the skid steer started running hot again.  Mark got the tractor tire off and put it in his car. He will get that repaired tomorrow. The mares and foals were put back outside and the colt fed for the night but I didn't clean the stalls. Both Mark and I needed showers we were filthy, really hot, covered with bits of hay, dust and debris. Tomorrow morning I should be able to bring in the last of the hay. I'm really thankful for this hay. It looks like we got 54 big round bales off this first cutting.





No comments:

Post a Comment