Tuesday, June 14, 2022

First Day of Indian Camp 2022

It was already oppressively hot when I headed up to feed the colt.  Mark went out at 6:30 am to work with Mackenson on the fence line. They were hard at work when we walked by on our walk. We stopped at the barn to get Sheena covered by Valiant then Sheena and her colt were put inside for the day. It is just too hot for her colt to be outside.

Just Diane and I walked as Ruth was getting mom ready for Berean and Joan was getting ready for the first day of Indian camp. Ruth, Fedi and mom met me at Peoria Tire so I could get the truck oil changed then Fedi drove us to the Berean office. If you would like to read about our morning there click HERE. After almost all the work was done Skip drove me back to Peoria Tire to pick up the truck.  Unfortunately it wasn't done so I had to wait about an hour. I still needed to head back to Berean for a bit more work then get to the Hanna City post office before it closed for lunch at 12:30 pm. I made it with just a few minutes to spare. As soon as I walked in our house the oven was turned on to preheat and batter for 3 big cakes made then put in to bake. 10 pounds of hamburger was browned and put in the crockpot with taco seasoning for the meal tonight. The grapes were brought down from the 5th wheel fridge where the fruit was being stored and washed and the rice cooked and put in a crock pot to keep warm.  While working I kept hearing something squeaking and I mentioned to Mark it sounds like puppies are crying.  I went outside to walk around the house to see if I could figure out where the sound was coming from but all was silent outside. The sound was coming from inside the house.  At that point I'm wondering what kind of critter gave birth INSIDE our house. The noise was coming from the bathroom and inside the shower was Hazel and 3 fat Cavapoo puppies.  Rhoda brought Iris AND puppies for Indian camp.  The puppies were too young to leave at home.
When the cakes were done and out of the oven cooling  I headed over to get a few pictures of Indian camp.  While I was gone this morning the Indians were very busy building their wigwams and making their clothes and fishing poles. As the day was so hot they spent a lot of time in the water swimming, fishing, canoeing and trying to keep cool. When I arrived they were at the playground finishing up lunch before heading over to Diane's pond to harvest clay. Joan found a turtle egg when pulling out the clay.
From there they hiked back down to the meadow to start all the crafts planned for this afternoon.  The owl was ready to be fed so some of the Indians took turns feeding him minnows. If you would like to see LOTS of pictures of the afternoon activities click HERE. I had to head back to the house at 4:30 to finish up the dinner and have it ready to eat at 5:30 pm at the playground. 

below is a video of just the afternoon.

After supper I cleaned up, Joan took the Indians hiking toward her house but they all ended up back at the meadow for the evening. They had a campfire and Joan told them Indian stories before they headed to bed. It was a very successful first day of camp. This evening once the dishes were done and the colt fed the cinnamon rolls for tomorrow's breakfast were baked and once cool iced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment