Saturday, March 19, 2022

Smoke Alarms

 It was another cold rainy morning. I left at 5:15 am to pick up Aunt Jinnie and take her to the airport.  She had plenty of time to get all checked in before the plane left at 7:00 am.  I made breakfast after getting home.  Mark started working on the basement but I needed to move a new round bale in for Irish and move her into the short shelter paddock. That is least muddy. She is still not bagged up enough that I want to move her inside but just in case at least that paddock has plenty of ground cover.  The middle paddock waterer was running over so I moved Rocky in with the other two mares and hopefully got the float to stop the overflow.  By this time my hands were pretty frozen. 
We have a guest coming in tonight so the apartment was given a quick once over except when I was cleaning up the floor one of the smoke detectors was chirping.  I asked Mark if he would change the battery found 2 new batteries. We had to drag the 8 foot ladder inside which made quite a mess on the floor. 

That ladder was dusty and kept dropping dirt on the clean floor.
Mark got the old battery out put the new one in and started carrying the ladder out when the smoke detector chirped. The ladder was carried back to the bedroom, that battery was taken out and the other one put in and we waited but again came the chirping.
We had no new batteries so drove to Dollar General and bought a new one believing the other two must have been old. BUT even with the new battery the smoke detector chirped. Mark tested all of the batteries and all 3 were good. That meant we have to replace the entire smoke detector.
We don't have any spares but there are two more in the apartment so just put it back together and went inside and ordered a few of them. That detector kept chirping all the way back to the house.  It is now in isolation in Mark's car. The heat was turned up to 70 and the lights left on for the guests coming in. They were planning on arriving around 7:00 pm.
I changed and left for Pekin to get some groceries for the meal tomorrow.  I stopped at Aldi first but they were out of a lot of what I wanted to buy.  I was going to go to Kroger in East Peoria so asked my phone to navigate to the nearest Kroger and found out there was one right in Pekin and it was even on my way home.  They still had corned beef on sale so bought 2 of those. I'll ask the kids if they would like to try that next week. If they don't want that meal I'll freeze it for when we have other company. I stopped at mom's house to drop off some butter I bought for that house. Diane was there and had brought Nancy with her.  Nancy was having a good time using the remote of the lift chair.  When I got home I started baking.  First a bunch of cake batter was made and divided into 3 pans and baked. While that was baking I cooked vanilla pudding. As soon as that had cooled (about 4 hours later) whipped cream was folded into that then a third was dumped over the first cake. The second cake was put on top and another third of the pudding dumped on top. That cake was put in the fridge. The rest of the pudding was dumped over the third cake and put in the fridge. The only thing left to do for the dessert is to dribble chocolate on top but that will be done tomorrow.  The kitchen was cleaned up while Mark found a movie for us to watch called Dreamer. It was about a girl and a race horse.  Aunt Jinnie sent a text that she made it to Hawaii safely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment