Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Weaning Day

 No walk for me today, I needed to leave by 7:20 am in order to be at Midwest Orthopedic by 7:50 am for my appointment with Dr. Mulvay to get my hip checked out. X-rays were done first and showed exactly what I figured but the good news is I do not have to get the hip replaced yet. They have some marvelous drugs to use for a few months.  I was home and had the trailer hooked up by 10:00 am for my first trip to Middle Grove. Today is weaning day for Rosaleigh's filly, Tatiana's colt and Lily's filly. The trailer was parked at the first gate and I hiked up the hill as the herd has been staying up there for a while but they weren't there. After hiking the ridges I found them. Some were slumbering, some grazing and some just lounging under trees.  They started for the lake for a drink.



When Tatiana came up the hill she was haltered first and then Rosaleigh. Those two were led all the way back to the trailer but neither of their foals followed. They were loaded and driven back then Tatiana unloaded and tied. Rosaleigh's filly jumped into the trailer with Rosaleigh, she was haltered tied and Rosaleigh taken out and Tatiana loaded again. Unfortunately her colt would NOT load, Rosaleigh's filly was anxious to get out of the trailer and banging it around. I finally just decided to take Tatiana and Rosaleigh's filly back and by that time it was 1:00 pm. They were unloaded and taken into a stall. Tatiana taken back out, the stall doors locked, Tatiana loaded back up and we were on our way back. The round trip takes an hour plus the unloading so we didn't get back to Middle Grove until 2:15 pm. This time Tatiana's colt was very glad to jump in the trailer with his mom. When I got back to the farm Rosaleigh's filly was loose in the yard galloping around calling for her mom. She had gotten the window open and jumped out. Tatiana's colt was haltered then all 3 were led into the far paddock, Tatiana slipped out and loaded back up for the trip back to Middle Grove.  She was glad to get out of the trailer, called a few times but soon settled down to graze. Indy looked a little wormy so I brought out a quest plus and she was de-wormed before haltering Lily. Lily loaded right up but her filly is 7 months old and not at all attached to her mom. She was more than content to be with first her big sister Rosalie and then when I tied Rosalie to the trailer, she hung out with Dancer. Rosalie was let go and Dancer tied to the trailer but still no go. She would stand close but not step in. At 5:40 pm I finally decided to leave her for the night and brought Lily home without her. The picture below was snapped as the sun was getting low in the West. She would stand quietly next to the trailer and even in front of the door but not step in. I didn't want to force her. 
I'll have to head back out to Middle Grove first thing tomorrow with Lily and I'm SURE she will be so glad to see her mother that she will load. I had plenty of time to take lots of pictures as I spent most of the day out there. It really is a beautiful piece of land. IF you would like to see the pictures from today click HERE. Below is a short video of the horses drinking then running up the hill.
Lily was unloaded and put in the paddock next to Valiant then the car was taken over to mom's for supper. The weaning is going well. Both of the foals here are eating and drinking. I'm sure Lily's filly is hanging out with her sister at Middle Grove. Lily has stopped calling for now but I sure hope she calls tomorrow morning when I get her back to Middle Grove. 



No comments:

Post a Comment