Saturday, November 5, 2022

Truly Shocking

 We had a windy semi warm morning of 61 degrees but when I left for Aldi the wind changed and a cold front moved in. As I was driving across the Shade-Lohmann bridge heading to Pekin the wind gust blew so hard it moved our little Prius into the oncoming traffic lane. Thankfully there were no oncoming cars. The picture below was taken just before heading over the bridge.

The rain came slamming down and that rain was cold. It was still raining when I reached Aldi. Today I was shopping not just for Sunday's dinner but also picking up foods for Thanksgiving. Aldi had Butterball turkeys on sale for $1.09 a pound. The biggest I found though were just over 18 pounds and I bought the limit which was 2 turkeys per customer.  The cart of food pictured below was almost $300.00 and this is at Aldi!
This inflation is almost inconceivable. Oh for the good old days of mean tweets and a dozen eggs for 38 cents. I hadn't been grocery shopping for 3 weeks as I was in Gulf Shores for 2 weeks and then too busy to go last week. Today was truly shocking. How can couples with kids afford groceries? When I got home Phil and Anna were working on the barn, Braelyn was up cleaning the apartment and Taegan and Kensely were coloring. 

Mark showed them how to print the coloring pages off the internet, they had fun working together on the picture above. The video below shows what each girl colored.
After lunch I drove over to mom's house to relieve Ruth. Mom had a new pair of shoes on and they were so nice she can wear them for church tomorrow. When Karin came I left to go start working on the 5th wheel but stopped at the weanling paddock and gave Valentino and Valerie a quick leading lesson.  Valerie is leading a bit better than Valentino. Hopefully he will figure it out soon as Monday I'm going to try to get him in to Dr. Hoerr's for the coggins test. The picture below was after they were turned loose.
When I got to the 5th wheel I found Mark had locked it so had to drive back to the house for the key. Kensley was pretending to be sleeping on the banister.
Taegan was making a code page to give to Kensley.
Back up at the 5th wheel, the hose was brought over and screwed on the black water flush then the water turned on. When I walked back from the hydrant to check water was spraying out everywhere.
The hose had to be turned off to find out what was the problem. Mark arrived about then and the 2 of us worked together until the black water tank was running clear. We put away the umbrella and rug then shut the barn doors.

We still need to finish winterizing the 5th wheel but by this time it was almost 5:00 pm. We had a surprise when we walked into the house. Taegan and Kensley had cleaned up the house and washed all the dishes. What great granddaughters. Braelyn had done a wonderful job cleaning the apartment and the other two did a wonderful job on our house. We sure are thankful for our grandchildren. I made a couple of chef salads for dinner tonight, just too tired to cook. It is cold and still windy outside. Mark turned the furnace on and up to 70 degrees. It is too late to start one of the wood burners but I'm sure tempted to do so. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment