Saturday, April 3, 2021

Saturday's Struggle

 The struggle today was to get the work done and stay awake while doing it. We were up at 6:00 am after a very short night. After downing a cup of coffee the first job on the list was to start unloading the trailer. At least our stuff. The kids will come get all theirs tomorrow before or after Easter dinner. I ran up to the barn to see Rosalie's filly. She came walking up out of the darkness into the light. She had been sleeping by the hay and when Rosalie came to the gate she jumped up and followed her mom.

She was checked over, her cord is already dry and hard and the filly is strong, all is well. I went back to the house relieved and ready to cook breakfast. There isn't a lot of food left in the house but I made some pancakes and served that with the last of the eggs and a couple pieces of sausage. Mark hired two of the boys living at Joan's house right now to help with the downed trees and he left to get them started. Below he is hooking up a big log to the skid steer to drag it over for splitting later.
Below is a short video of him dragging the log.

Isaiah arrived and helped move Rosalie and her new filly out to the field so I could get pictures of her and post them on the website AND post them on the blog to announce her birth just 1 day late. She is strong and loved running around Rosalie.
At first Rosalie was worried and came trotting up to make sure she didn't get too far away but when it was obvious the filly was just circling around trying out those long legs Rosalie settled down to graze.
She is a cutie with a lot of spunk at just 1 day old. Magda arrived and Isaiah and Magda brought Oksana out to tease then cover with Evan.
They told me that Evan won't do his job if Karin is handling him, she has to turn her back. Karin has been his trainer for riding and he knows he is not allowed to notice a mare if Karin is handling him. When Karin arrived they tacked up Sangria, Ripper and Oksana and took them out on the trails.
It was just a beautiful day. The geese were flying over head, the circled the pond but when they saw the nesting pair they kept flying over to the lake.
Emma has been staying by my side all day. She followed up to the barn then laid down waiting while I finished the chores.

She is so glad we are back.  Mark and I drove to the Peoria airport where he left my car. He had all his tools in the car and had left it unlocked. I was thankful the car was still there and so were all of his tools. He went on to Meisters while I drove to Kroger to pick up some break and eggs. They had rib roasts on sale for $5.99 a pound so I picked up 3 of them and will cook them for tomorrow's Easter dinner which Anna is hosting. This evening I listed to the Tremont Choir on AC Central. They put on the Good Friday program. I really enjoyed sitting here listening while working and was thankful Mike told me about it. We are both too tired to work very hard today and are heading to bed now. I really am thankful to be home safe.

 










No comments:

Post a Comment