Friday, April 9, 2021

Lola's Home

 We had another cool muddy morning. The golf cart was taken over to Spark and Rhonda's house to feed the cat before the walk so we didn't have to go up that drive. Joan is gone so we didn't have to walk that way and CILCO is putting in a new service for Joan's house and that made the drive very muddy. After the walk I took the truck and trailer to Middle Grove to pick up Lola. It was sprinkling rain on the way and on the way back but did not rain while I was hiking. Speaking of hiking the horses were no where in sight. The entire field and up both hills had to be walked before I finally got a glimpse of Mika coming out of the woods to graze. Following him was the rest of the herd. I had not taken the camera because of the rain so no pictures but all the mares that are due in April had their udders checked. None of them are bagged up so only Lola was haltered. Irish followed us about half way then turned back and ran to the herd. I was very glad I wore rubber boots, many of the trails were boggy.  The truck was about out of gas and Farmington had gas for $2.86 a gallon while Casey's in Hanna City is $3.08 so of course I filled up before heading home. To fill the tank cost $85.00 UGH I guess I need to thank both Biden AND Pritzger for that. We got gas for $2.44 a gallon on the way home from Gulf Shores.  I made it home a couple minutes after 10:00 am and Toni, the lady picking up Irish's filly had just arrived. She was over petting her.

I apologized for the mud and Toni replied, "I didn't even SEE any mud!"  She was so very thrilled with Grace. She was haltered and led into the trailer. Below they are leaving for their 5 hour trip home.
Once they were gone Lola was unloaded and put in the field. Rosalie and her filly were in the paddock. Rosalie was excited to see Lola and was watching her as she was let go in the field.
Her filly went running up to the fence to see too.

She came walking back to me as if to ask me to open the back gate.
Of course I did, can't resist those eyes. She is such a cutie. Below she is staring intently at Lola
Lola was also very curious about Rosalie's filly but Rosalie wouldn't let her too close.
They were left alone while I cleaned out the two stalls that had been used earlier. When I got back outside to check on them they were grazing pretty close together.
Rosalie took off and it was all Lola could do to keep up. The picture below shows her baby bump better. She is due in 9 days but is not yet bagged up. The sun came out this afternoon so the tomato plants were taken out on the patio. Karin stopped in for the release forms as she had a group coming riding. Mark brought home a couple pieces of fried chicken from Kroger for supper tonight, my favorite. After supper he went out to work on the drive. He is using broken concrete from Philip's house to try to widen the driveway.

I ran over to mom's house to make dinner plans for tomorrow. It is my weekend for Nancy so we will be taking her out to eat tomorrow.  On the way back I stopped to check on Rosalie and Lola and they were happily grazing together. The filly was very interested in Lola. Today is the first day she has been with another horse other than her mom. She was sneaking up getting close in the picture below.
When Lola turned to look at her she took off for her mama.
It is a lot of fun watching the foals. These two mares will raise their foals together UNLESS Lola holds off and Irish delivers first. 











 









 





1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete