Thursday, September 7, 2023

Day Off

 I awoke with the realization that I had NOTHING on the calendar, nothing pressing, and no work waiting. Well dishes could always be done, Mark wanted breakfast and I had to figure out what to have for dinner but those things don't count.  I decided today I'm taking the 'real camera' driving out to Middle Grove to check over the mares and foals and spend some time with them. I left at 10:00 am and didn't get home until after lunch. After driving through the gate and into the field the car was left and I started the long hike straight up the hill. I saw the herd lounging under the trees in their usual spot and used the zoom to take the first picture before they saw me. 

It wasn't until I reached them and started looking around that I realized Mika and Lily were missing. I counted 5 foals so realized Lily's filly was also missing. The last time we had 2 horses missing was when we lost Indy and Oksana and found them dead. I started searching, just hoping they would be close by. I turned around and took the picture below before continuing the search. 
After 20 minutes of searching the tree area I decided to hike to the lake to see if they were there getting a drink. Nope, at that point I started looking for big bodies and searching the sky for vultures. I saw and heard a murder of crows but they flew off without landing anywhere near. About a half hour later I heard a horse neigh then another horse from where I found the herd neigh back and right then the sound of horses galloping.  I think it was Mika that called. Mika, Sangria, Lily and Lily's filly were under the trees over by the very last hill toward the far eastern gate.  The herd reached them before I could. It was only after I reached them did I realize Sangria was with them too.  In the picture below Sangria is front and center. To the far right is Lily, Mika, Rosalie and Lily's filly.
I was so relieved they were fine.  The missing horses are the oldest we have. Mika is 24 years old, Sangria is 22years old and Lily is 21 years old. They are all lifers, Mika and Lily were born here, Sangria we got when she was just 2 years old. Finally I could do what I came to do which was to take some pictures of the foals for their owners. Below is Rosaleigh and her colt by Evan.
Below is Jewel and her colt by Evan.
Irish's colt by Valiant came right up for his picture.
Tatiana and her filly were under the trees..
Lily's filly by Valiant is pictured below. Love the neck on her. 

Madiera's colt was the hard one to get a good picture. He was following me way to close. That is his nose in the picture below. He wanted my attention and loved getting scratches.
The other two that were following were Valerie (Lily's 2022 filly by Valiant) and Tessa (Rosaleigh's 2022 filly by Evan). Left to right is Madiera's colt, Tessa and Valerie.
They didn't understand why I kept walking away. In the picture below Valerie is now in the middle.
I took over 50 pictures. IF you would like to see them click HERE. They were convinced to stay with the herd as I hike down to the car. Just before I reached the car Mika brought the herd to the ridge. They were walking single file behind him. It took two pictures to get them all in.

I turned on the video right then.
It was neat to see. Mika is the leader but Lily is the boss. The herd stopped when he stopped.  Irish was bringing up the rear and when she walked by Sheena, Sheena decided she was too close. Irish moved away but Sheena thought she didn't move quite quick enough. What was interesting was Sheena has no problem with Irish's colt.
When I got home there were a couple packages waiting. One was the spoons ordered for the barn and the other was 4 canoe paddles. I took the paddles over put a couple in each canoe then decided to throw one in the lake to make sure it would float. Yep they float.
Joan had all of the mowers going today. Berlica was mowing the playground so I stopped to admire her ingenuity.
Mark used the skid steer to spread some of the gravel.
Then took the mower and mowed the round pen again.

Hopefully that will be usable soon. Mike would like Dancer started in the round pen. She was not wanting to go forward so tonight he used the 4 wheeler. He asked her to do a trot round then canter and she did.
Dancer is out of Jewel by Evan, she is 75% Friesian 25% Thoroughbred and seems to have inherited her grandmother Grace's love of running.  She was glad to run when asked but when told she could stop settled right down to eat. She really is a beautiful mare.


She is tall, sturdy and is going to be a fantastic trail horse for us. She is also expecting a 7/8ths Friesian foal April 20th, 2024. As she is related to both of our stallions we bred her to Pablo's gorgeous 16.3 hand HAIRY Friesian stallion. This boy throws hair, height and movement. 
This is a real reason to look forward to the foaling season next year.
It was good to be able to go to Middle Grove and walk without pain. What a blessing that a mere hip replacement works miracles. 





 


No comments:

Post a Comment