Sunday, May 8, 2022

Tatiana's Colt

 Tatiana was in the first stage of labor yesterday evening. She was pacing in the arena but when I tried to take Jury out she got quite upset. Jury was left in with her. I went to bed then got up at 1:00 am to check on her and she had already given birth and the colt was standing.   At that point I put Jury out in the field behind the mare paddock.  Jury threw a fit and to my surprise so did Tatiana.  She was so distressed by not having another mare in with her she almost stepped on her colt.  I had to go back out to the field and call Jury.  Of course it is pitch dark outside and by the time I brought Jury in the colt was rooting for the milk bar.

It is always a relief to hear that sound of sucking. Jury was content to stand by the hay and watch.
Her placenta passed pretty quickly once he started nursing so I got the wheelbarrow and cleaned up the arena then put the placenta in the wheelbarrow. That will be buried in the morning.  Tatiana had to come over to see what I was doing.
It was nice to just sit and watch to make sure he would follow his mom and find her udder no problem. Below are a few pictures taken while watching.



As long as Jury is in the arena Tatiana settled right down and was very attentive. At 2:50 am I felt all was well so headed back to the house to make the announcement. So very thankful for another safe delivery and healthy foal.








No comments:

Post a Comment