Friday, May 20, 2022

DeWorming Day

 It was a beautiful morning, sunny and cool. I walked to the dumpster but no one else arrived so walked over to the barn and took a  picture of where the new gravel needs to be spread. We have about 4 inches to build up the drive so we can move the equipment into the barn easier.

The grass is so green right now. Our beautiful morning started building storm clouds in the West so I snapped the picture below then got busy. This was taken standing at the new barn looking over to the pond pasture.
A perfect day to get the deworming done. Before heading up to feed the cat and check the horses the dewormers were pulled out and lists were made. Some of the mares cannot have the Quest Plus and the other dewormer used today was Strongid.  Jury was the hardest I had to be patient with her and keep the tube against her cheek for quite a while before she finally let me get it in her mouth and squirt it in. She was given Strongid.  The other mares given Strongid were Soul, Rosalie, Lily and Tatiana.  Irish was given Quest Plus since she is not yet pregnant.  Sally and Sangria were also given Quest Plus.  Sangria is tall and gets her head up pretty high but I was careful to get it squirted WAY back into her mouth and I don't know how she did it but the next thing I know is it all came flying out of her mouth like a big goober and landed on my chest.  That dewormer is so expensive I was able to scoop it up with my fingers and stuffed it right back in her mouth this time holding her head up and mouth shut so she couldn't spit it out.  For the first time I can remember I was glad to be a little chubby and according to the heart surgeon, "well endowed".  Usually if a horse spits out the dewormer it ends up on the ground and can't be used.  But because of my build, the entire amount was easily scooped up off my shirt. Of course that meant I had to go in and change before bringing Dakota out to tease. She was not very interested but winked a couple of times but when I brought Valiant up to mount she swung her rear end at him and tried to kick.  I was amazed at how quickly Valiant gets out of the way. I needed to quit outside work then the storm rolled in with lightning thunder and rain.  I still have 3 more to deworm Missy, Cookie and Rocky and have their dewormers labeled and ready to go for tomorrow morning.  Dakota was marked out and her owners sent a text.  She will be picked up tomorrow.  Sangria is also getting picked up tomorrow. Around 9:30 am a lady is coming to check out Tatiana's colt so they will be brought inside as the forecast is for rain. I needed to be at mom's at 11:00 am to relieve Joan. Mom had a good afternoon and evening.  John and Beth arrived and stayed for a wile before heading to Gil's for supper.  Once mom was in bed I left for home.  Mark had 2 of the tomato plants planted and was anxious to show me the treasures that came in today. He bought with his own money a new kind of automatice waterer.
I am impressed with how easy it should be to repair. If we like how it performs I'll start saving to buy a few more. He had also ordered me a brand new rain coat.  What a nice gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment