Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Electricity Shortage.

 I headed up to the barn early to check on Rosaleigh's new filly. She was laying down and shivering a bit then didn't move until I asked her to get up. That was a little bit of a worry but as soon as she was up she walked right over to Rosaleigh and started nursing. It was actually pretty cold outside so the shivering was something good to warm up those muscles. I also saw her urinate and manure and both were normal. I was almost late to the walk because of watching her.  Right after the walk I left so I would have time to stop at Sam's club. We needed a few things for mom (Sam's was out of) and one of the things Sam's had not had for months was liquid hand soap.  Anna told me we would need more for the apartment so that was the first thing I searched for and couldn't find. I found someone and asked and he sent me all the way across the store to the laundry aisle and of course there wasn't any there. I checked the price of eggs thinking I may get some for baking if they were cheaper than the $2.39 a dozen Aldi was charging but even their cheap eggs were over $3.00 a dozen.  After checking out I asked another person about buying a gallon of hand soap. She looked it up and saw the store still had 13 left and told me where to find it but again I could not. I was looking in the bar soap aisle. I found someone else and this person knew where it was. It was sold in a 2 pack for $6.98 but this item has 9% tax (63cents) so it ended up at $7.61 and it is no longer sold in gallon jugs but instead just 80 ounce jugs. This is what they call shrinkflation. We had good morning at the Berean office. If you would like to read about our morning there click HERE. I left at 11:00 am and headed right for the Hanna City post office to drop off the Bibles then home to let Rosaleigh and her filly out.  Pax was here as Anna was cleaning the apartment. I didn't want him chasing the new baby so put him in my car when the horses were put out. To my surprise when I tried to open the car door to let Pax out he had locked the car.  Not only locked the car but had the flashers on too.  I told Anna then headed down to the house to get the second set of keys. Pax was glad to get out and I was glad to take the car down to the house. Right as I was putting the soap inside Beth called. She needed help with mom so I dropped the soap and headed over to mom's and just stayed there for the afternoon. When I finally got home I took the short video below of Rosaleigh with her filly grazing in the tall grass by the fence line. 

The field is ready for baling but the weather is not. We have rain coming in tonight.  Rosaleigh was ready to be put in but the weather was still nice so they were put in the far paddock. They were both thirsty but Rosaleigh had to make sure all was safe before dropping her head down to drink.
She is such a good mama.  The people that have borrowed Madiera sent a text that she is now waxing.  Maybe she will deliver tonight. Jury was checked and no progress on her udder we are beginning to think she isn't due until August even thought she looks like she is ready to deliver now.   Mark was out working in the yard so I went in to start supper. Tonight we had liver and onions served with a big salad.  The liver from this beef is tender and delicious. Right after supper the electricity went out. Mark started the generator so we can work this evening. It has been out for a few hours so far and we don't know why. Crazy the Berean office lost power today too. It must be that green new deal. Not much wind or sun today to make power and our government wants to shut down the coal/gas/oil industries here in Illinois. So along with the baby formula shortage, gas shortage, food inflation, soap shortage now we need to worry about electricity shortage. Such a strange time, just over a year ago, before the election there were no shortages and America was fuel independent but we had mean tweats.  I headed up at 7:00 pm to put Rosaleigh and her filly inside for the night. The rain is to start around 2:00 am. 




No comments:

Post a Comment