Friday, November 10, 2023

The Mare is Open

 I didn't walk this morning, Joan left mom's early to get ready for Co-op and I stayed with mom until Diane was ready to come over. When I got home a little after 8:00 am Mark had just finished making his own breakfast and it looked really good. Maybe he doesn't need me as much as I think. I made and ate my own breakfast before heading out to load Basilea (Lea) for her trip to the vet clinic for her ultrasound. Mark came out to help. Lea loaded right up went to the front, turned around quickly and tried to jump out but thankfully Mark and I had the trailer door shut just in time. He held her lead rope, I climbed in the side door then had Mark let go so I could tie her up to the front of the trailer.  That worked well. When I got to the vet clinic at 9:30 am I had Aaron come help unload. I went in the side door, had him open the back door after I had her lead rope on and she walked quietly out. She didn't want to go in the stocks but  Dr. Hoerr was busy with another customer so took time to just wait until she was ready to walk in. She barely fit in the stocks. She really is a big mare. Aaron was impressed with her height AND length. Her tail was smashed against the back and her chest was smashed against the front.


Then we waited and waited. Lea got bored and first tried to let herself out of the stocks by trying to open the latch. 
When I wouldn't allow that she started yawning.
I left them to go check on her filly. She had dumped her water bucket but was happily munching away on hay.
I didn't go in the stall but took a picture of her leg.
Dr. Hoerr said he is still cutting away dead skin but the wound is starting to fill in. Dr. Hoerr was finally ready to sonagram her around 11:00 am. Lea is OPEN, she evidently lost the pregnancy sometime after Aug 9th as she was sonagrammed in foal at that time.  She had multiple follicles on the right ovary and one on the left about 35 mm. She should be ready to breed in 4 or 5 days. I contacted first the lady that we bought her from as  the sales contract has a life foal guarantee, then messaged the stallion owner.  The stallion owner does not do her own collecting so we agreed that we will use one of our own stallions to breed Lea then use the stud fee that would have gone to Lea on Dancer spring of 2024. I was due at mom's at 2:00 pm and when I walked in found mom in the kitchen enjoying the sunshine and Diane on her hands and knees cleaning out the cupboard under the kitchen sink.
If it had been just a little warmer we would have gone out on the deck. The sunshine felt warm but the wind was cool. Right about then the apartment booked for tonight so Diane stayed while I ran over to turn on the lights and put the heat up to 72 degrees. I put together a pizza for our dinner and used the pizza spatula Mark just bought to put the pizza in the oven and pull it out when it was done. 
Joan arrived at 7:00 pm.











No comments:

Post a Comment