Monday, November 6, 2023

Vet Visit

 Dr. Hoerr sent a text at 5:00 am that if I could get the filly in to his clinic by 7:30 am he would be able to work on her. Now for the rest of the story.  About 30 minutes into the trip home with the mare and filly a car pulled up to my truck on Interstate 70 as I was going through Columbus, OH, rolled down their window and told me, "You have a leg sticking out of the back of the trailer. I found a place to pull over and with semis flying by was able to open the back of the trailer to find the filly had fallen, kicked and kicked to try to stand up, broke the bottom latch of the door of the trailer which left just enough room for her back leg to fall through and get stuck. It was cut quite badly. I felt along the leg and it was not broken, so picked it up and moved it inside the trailer, got back in the truck and pulled off at the first truck stop hoping to get the filly on her feet. I was surprised to see her standing up with her dam and was eating hay. With only 1 latch left holding the door I did a lot of praying on that nightmare 6 more hour trip home. Mark met me up at the pasture, shined his car lights on the back of the trailer. When I opened up the door the mare threw herself back but thankfully the halter or trailer tie didn't break. I jumped in the trailer, Mark slammed the door while I unhooked the mare and put a leadrope on the mare. Only then did I have Mark open the door. The mare and foal were put in the field to keep the wound clean. The trailer needs repair before it can be used again. So this morning Tessa and Dr. Hoerr shaved off all the hair on the leg and cleaned up the wound. Thalia is sedated in the picture below.

Her prognosis is good but it will take some time. It really was just a freak accident.
When I got home there was a message from the people that are going to rent the barn at the end of December. They would like to come see it tomorrow around 1:00 pm. The food in the fridge needed to be brought home, the clean dishes that Braelyn washed needed to be put away and I did a little sweeping. Rebekah  Street sent a message that she could come today to ride the new mare. So Lea was taken to the round pen. She had been calling for her filly all morning and was very distracted but she finally started paying attention. I took some pictures for the website.



She really is a beautiful mare. Mark wanted to have the last camper brought over and stored in the indoor so I drove the skid steer over to Joan's to get the camper. Mark took the golf cart and hooked it up. When we got to the barn Mark switched the hitch from the back of the skid steer to the front so I could push the trailer in and see where to put it.
That went well and soon all 4 campers were in for the winter.
Since Rebekah was coming later this afternoon I brought down a saddle and cleaned it up.
I tried it on Lea along with a bridle then took those up to the round pen. When Rebekah arrived she worked with Lea for about a half an hour in the round pen before mounting.

Rebekah wanted a helmet before climbing on so I brought over the entire string Diane had hanging in the barn.
Lea stood for mounting. She was a little tense but didn't do anything wrong.
Lea has a very big trot and her canter is not very balanced but that is normal for a Friesian mare. That will need to be worked on. Below are a few pictures.


Rebekah, her mom Erin and her husband Brennon stayed until the sun went down. At 6:30 pm the girls volley ball league arrived. There were 18 girls tonight and everyone that came to play is related to each other. They had 3 full teams. I had one sister playing 4 nieces, one daughter-in-law, 2 grand daughters and all the rest are grand nieces. So thankful when first and second cousins get to play together. What a FAMILY...Thanks mom and dad for having 11 of us.


Below is a video of some of the games tonight. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment