Thursday, July 13, 2023

Working Day

 Today was a work day around here. While Diane, Ruth and I were walking Mike took his tractor to clean out Evan's shelter. 

Mark finished it up with the skid steer.
Mike fixed the broken boards.
I was checking over the mares and discovered Sheena had a very sore hind leg. She didn't want to put any weight on it at all. Now she is a Thoroughbred mare and a little bit of a drama queen but still this looked really bad. It took a while but I got her out of the paddock and started hosing down that leg.
The leg was hosed for over an hour. I could find no wound, nothing to suggest she had been kicked, no marks at all but her fetlock was very swollen. Hoerr vet clinic was called and thankfully Dr. Hoerr was able to make it out this morning.
After checking her over he brought out his portable x-ray machine and took many pictures of all sides.
The x-rays all came out clean, no breaks.
She was given 3 different kinds of antibiotics, banimine for pain relief and I was given a tube of bute of which she was to be given 3 cc's tonight then 2 tomorrow depending on how she feels. Dr. Hoerr also left two bottles of sulfa paste as she needs 40 cc's of sulfa once a day. He was just finishing up when Lowes delivery truck showed up with the new washing machine for the barn apartment.
That was unloaded and put in the barn aisle. As soon as that truck left I moved a bale in the paddock next to Valiant's paddock and moved Sheena into that.
A bit later I took the pictures below of Jury. She is due in 5 days but just doesn't look as big as last year. Hope she's not just fat.


When Mark got back we went to work removing the dryer from the old washer.
When both the washer and dryer were out of the closet I was able to scrub the floor. This was the first time that floor was scrubbed since we put the washer and dryer in it 14 years ago.
The old washer was put outside and we went to work unpacking the new one. We were able to get it in and installed correctly but when it came time to put the dryer back on top Mark felt I was not strong enough to lift it high enough. I called Rachel's husband David and he came right over to help Mark with that job. While they were doing that the couple coming from Trivoli arrived to pick up a trailer they were taking to Wisconsin. That went well.
By the time I got back to the barn the washer and dryer were both in.
The last two trailers were picked up about an hour later. I had to borrow a coupler pin off the horse trailer as one was missing on a camper and a cotter pin as the hitch was missing one of those. When I got back Mark was hooking the gas up to the dryer. I showed him what I needed for the campers and he was able to order 10 of them for just $16.00. 
These seem to get lost more than anything else with the campers. My last job for the day was to give Sheena 40 cc's of Sulfa and 3 ccs of Bute. She is still very sore.
12 years ago we sold an Oldenburg mare named Dalia and that owner contacted us today asking if I would send a bill of sale. She never transferred her registration papers into her name but bred the mare last year and now wants to register her foal. 
I was glad to send the bill of sale. I was inside working and missed the sunset today but thankfully Rhonda caught it and sent over the pictures below.


































No comments:

Post a Comment