Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Save the DATE

 We were both up before the coffee pot turned on. Of course I couldn't wait for the start and pushed the button to get it going right away.  Ruth showed up on the walk covered in poison ivy. Her eye was almost swollen shut, her face was a mess and both arms were covered. Ruth was supposed to wait a table at the church today so Diane offered to take her place there, Ruth was going to take Diane's place with mom but wanted to get a steroid shot first in hopes that it won't start weeping so I offered to stay with mom until Ruth got back from prompt care. We sure are thankful to have lots of sisters to call on. After the walk Evan's paddock needed a new bale so the mares were locked off of the pasture and Evan turned out to graze. When I snapped the picture below it almost looked like he was standing with his tail toward me.

Nope that is not his tail, it is his mane and forelock. He is grazing on the grass. Below you can see his 
face better.
Mark needed help getting the road grader back on the tractor. That last 2 inch rain fall really did a number on our driveway and we are having conference guests coming in tomorrow so needed the drives all graded.
While I was getting the hog panels out of the paddocks (we used hog panels to wrap the round bales in that stops the wasting of hay) Anna arrived with lots of little kids wanting pony rides. Below a lot of the riders are waiting on the golf cart for Cookie to get tacked up. 
 I helped get Cookie saddled and bridled. Below she is taking Cookie who has a rider and a leader out to the round pen.
Taegan drove the golf cart with the riders to the round pen following Cookie.
They each got a turn.

While they were busy with the horse I got the tractor out and started moving round bales. Evan's paddock got a bale today, Valiant's paddock got a new bale and the far paddock got a bale.
We have a mare coming in for breeding tomorrow and I needed another paddock. When I got back to the house we had lunch then Mark went back out to weed whack the outdoor arena and the round pen.

Below he is coming to pick me up.
While he was weed whacking I finished cleaning the stalls. We will be using the foaling apartment, the barn, the cowboy cabin and the Waterview walkout for guests tomorrow night. The next job was to weed whack around the propane tanks. After all the kids were finished swimming Sarah took the kids to my house for smarties then took them on golf cart rides.
We all ended up at the playground. Nolan had arrived and was willing to help me get the ping pong table fixed up in the game room of the big barn. I was thankful for his help, that is a heavy table.  The BIG NEWS for today is we have a date for the 2024 hog roast. I was able to drive down to Rabers this afternoon and put down a deposit for a nice BIG hog for October 5th, 2024.
Save the date! We had such a great time last year but this year I have a better more efficient way of serving the food. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment