Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Irish Has A FILLY

At 11:50 pm I checked the monitor and saw that Irish was getting ready to lay down. At that point I grabbed my sweat shirt and phone, jumped on the golf cart and headed to the barn. By the time I got there she was in active labor. Those legs sticking out were huge.

 The camera was put down and I started helping with each contraction. As soon as the rib cage cleared and the foal was breathing I quit but the hips and back legs are still inside. 
 I thought she may be able to finish the delivery herself but she was just too tuckered out. I was shocked at how hard it was to get those hips and back legs out but one last big contraction and one last big pull the filly popped out. She was born at 12:15 am April 29th, 2020.
 Irish just rested for a while until the filly started moving around then was curious enough to reach over to see.
 The filly kept moving towards her mother's head while still attached to the cord. 
 The cord was stretched quite far.
 One last kick out and the cord snapped and the filly was free.
 Irish took that opportunity to start cleaning the filly up


 The filly kept trying to get up and was moving around but Irish still didn't try to stand.


 At 12:44 am the filly made it to her feet. She balanced for a bit then went crashing down.
 Irish as concerned enough that she finally stood up. The filly's second try went better and it wasn't long before she was stumbling around her mother looking for the milk bar.




The placenta dropped just before 1:00 am, iodine was applied to her cord,  the stall was cleaned up, new hay and water were put in and then I just watched until the filly latched on finally around 1:15 am.  I'm back up at the house watching on the monitor and the filly is nursing well. Irish is being a good mother, holding still  while the filly nurses. She had a hard labor but what a wonderful outcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment