Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Yesterday, May 19th, 2009


Last evening I was privileged to spend the evening with my new grandbaby, Addyson Faith Sceggel. She is such a joy but we had some good laughs listening to Ben, her daddy talk about her sleep habits.
Jazz and Velvet were covered yesterday. Big Sally was teased but no heat yet, Sangria's milk was tested but still not close. At least today her udder is bigger than yesterday so she is making progress. I think she doesn't want to have this foal so is putting it off after her last experience. Steven emailed about his training session with Clara. I copied it and am putting it on the blog so everyone can see how good she is coming along.
Judy,
I worked with Clara again today. This time I tacked up Sanna and ponied Clara around. She did really well. We rode down to the cabin, then down the drive to your mom's house, back up the drive, into the hay field and followed the treeline around and turned around and followed it back. Clara did wonderful. Not one spook or shy or even head up tall to look at something. her neck stayed pretty much straight off her withers the whole time following behind Sanna right at her back hip. I kept a hold of her lead rope but it never got tight where i had to pull Clara and most of the time there was slack. She went down for grass once but a minor correction and she didn't try again. When i would turn Sanna to change direction towards Clara, Clara would stop and pivot and wait for Sanna to get around her and then follow again. When i would turn away from Clara she would speed up just a tad to keep up and stay at Sanna's hip. I ponied her right past raven's paddock and even with raven up against the gate Clara just kept on going, no trying to greet or get away. Every time i stopped Sanna, Clara stopped. every time i walked Sanna on, Clara walked right away. I am thoroughly impressed. I thought for sure she would be spooking at things, but not even the tractor a few yards off cutting the hay bothered her. Knock on wood if everything goes as planned I'd like to try to take her on her first light trail this weekend being ponied.
Steven
I posted a picture of Sanna from last year. She rides and drives but what I didn't know is that she is a good quiet training mare.

No comments:

Post a Comment