Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Lily

Lily is in season and was covered today. She wasn't sure she really liked Raven getting near her filly but nature was just too strong and she stood while the filly waited patiently in the small paddock. I had to take 2 trips out to the farm earlier and just now found out I'm going back tonight. Mark wants to keep working on the treeline. He is cleaning up the scrub trees that grow along the hay field. It is a never ending job but Mark seems to enjoy it. Today I let Sangria out in the field along with Lily and Salena and their foals. They all had about an hour then started wandering back. Salena was first to come in, followed by Sangria, then Lily stands at the gate and waits for me to let her into the paddock.
I was busy showing Sophie and Anni to a lady interested in buying a horse but had to keep leaving her and go put away mares. Sangria looks like she is carrying twins she is so huge. She is not bagged up yet so I guess we have time. I'm checking her everyday even though her official due date is May 16th. The last day she was covered was June 6th, 2008 and an easy way to remember is 11 months and 11 days. I have her due date down as May 12th so I am prepared. The Lexington people called, their mare had a colt. He is a bay, kind of disappointing but they love his conformation. The mare was a bay and they were hoping for a black. We have had black foals by Raven out of chestnut mares, bay mares, gray mares and palomino mares, so I guess once in a while it is ok to have a bay baby. I think the count is even again as far as fillies vs colts.

No comments:

Post a Comment