Saturday, May 23, 2009

Lily's Colic

This morning around 7:15 Steven Marchal let the mares out to graze and Lily went into the field and immediately laid down. I got to the lake right at 8:00am for the work day at the lake and Steven told me that we might be having a problem. We brought Lily and her filly Ciera into the stall and she was uncomfortable so I gave her banamine and left her in. We got Big Sally covered, then I headed over to the lake for mom's work day. I kept driving over to check on Lily and thought she was feeling better around 10:00am so I let her out and she ran out into the field with the other mares and foals. By 11:00am Lily went back in the stall and laid down again. At 11:18 I gave her more banamine. By 11:45 I knew I'd better call the vet. She just wasn't doing well. Dr. Pallen got to the farm around 1:15 and Lily was no better. Dr. Pallen felt an impaction but also felt it was a displaced colon and recommended we haul her to the University of Illinois. Mike let me borrow his truck as I didn't want to waste the time to go back home to get my truck. Dr. Pallen gave Lily something to make the trip more comfortable and then we locked Lily in the front and Ciera in the back just in case Lily drops during the trip. I started driving for UofI at 2:00pm. I called Steven and he met me in Morton. Steven is very attached to Lily. He did all the training on her and he really wanted to go to find out if she would be ok. It is a 2 hour trip from the farm but I actually made it in 1hour and 45 minutes, ok, I confess I was speeding! After Lily's evaluation it was determined that yes, she must have surgery. We waited until one of the doctors came out to tell us that Lily's bowel was in good shape, it was a displaced impaction and they did not have to resect any bowel, but will be just opening it up and pulling the impaction out, then put the intestines back in place.. We left for home after 6:00pm with the understanding the surgeon would call once she is out of recovery. It is 9:00pm and I am still waiting to hear from UofI. Actually they just called at 9:10pm and Lily is back in her stall doing ok. They feel she will be ready to come home next weekend. I'll update more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment