Thursday, May 21, 2009

Auction fun!

Wow did I have fun tonight. I pulled in at the auction right at 6:30pm and got to watch the horses warm up. There was one big gray warmblood looking mare in the arena so I asked the guy riding about her. He said she was a 10 year old 16.3 hand mare out of a Percheron stallion and a TB mare. He said she came from a barn up near Barrington, IL and was used for dressage. I watched a while and wasn't very impressed with her gaits but thought maybe the man was holding her back. During the tack part where they were selling headstalls, I left the ring and walked back to the barns to look her up without the owner there and without a saddle on so I could see her conformation better. I found her in a stall, she was not 16.3, maybe 16.1, she had a very long back and was thin. I opened her mouth and she had VERY long teeth for a 10 year old, really they looked like an 18-20 year old. I asked what the age said on her coggins and the man didn't turn one in with her, he said he 'lost' it on the way down from Barrington. Probably because it had the wrong age on it. :o)
Anyway here is what I bought, 4 bottles of fly spray, the kind that renders bot eggs sterile. 2 new English bridles one with a nice 5 inch full cheek snaffle. An older Western saddle size 17 inch. (What I liked about it was it is not a heavy one). Ten lead ropes, 11 small flat back buckets, 12 5 gallon flat back buckets, 9 manure scoops, the kind we like, a neat tack holder bag for bridles or halters, it is blue and has the bridle rack built right in, it is really cool, I bought it for the vaulters for the shows, 2 bottles of leather cleaner, 8 mane combs, 6 sweat scrapers and 5 cheap hoof picks. Like I said, I must have gone a little crazy, who needs 9 manure forks? The new buckets I wanted for the new stalls and I noticed today I was having trouble coming up with lead ropes to take Knight and Anni to Forrest.
After the tack came the horses. There were some sad looking horses there, nothing we would be interested in but we stayed until the gray mare came through, just to see what she would go for and what the owner would say. I'm so glad Diane told me that Horsemeister would pay for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment