Monday, May 11, 2009

Big Sally's New Colt

Steven decided to stay the night last night as when we tested Big Sally she had a 54% chance of foaling and I wanted a good night sleep as more than likely she would have it on Monday night but... Steven called me around 9:30pm and told me that Sally was dripping milk so I decided to drive back out to the farm and stay also. We had Sangria on one side of the barn and Big Sally on the other side and both were restless. We jumped up every time we thought she was getting ready to foal but by 5:30am Steven needed to leave for work and I decided to drive home, have breakfast then come back. The walkers, Diane, mom and Rachel checked on her around 7:00am, then Diane drove up and checked on her around 8:15am before heading to work. I got back to the farm around 9:30am to meet Ean, the man bringing the mare to be bred to Raven, and there was the colt standing but not sure what else he was suppose to do. He is big, silver tipped with a black base so he should end up the blue black that is so desired once shedding his foal coat. She had him in a nice bed of straw, but I wanted to bring him into the barn and put iodine on his cord and do some imprinting. He is so big and strong I had a tough time getting them into the barn. Big Sally was not sure if I should be handling him and I had to keep telling her that it was fine and that she should just follow. She kept getting in front of us, trying to get me to stop. I got them into the stall and put him by her side and he started rooting for the nipples and found them within a few minutes. How wonderful when the foal is up and nursing without assistance. That's when I discovered I'd left my phone at home. I wanted so badly to call everyone to tell them the news. I had to drive over to mom's and wait for her to get off the phone to call Diane. Then we all headed back to the barn to see how they were doing. Joan's kids were at mom's so they got to come see him also. I don't know if we have EVER had such a huge colt. His leg bones are massive. I'll take my camera out later today and get some pictures but first I need a NAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment