Monday, August 21, 2023

34 Bales

 We were up at 5:00 am but I didn't start breakfast until 6:40 am and had everything done and ready to take to mom's by 7:45 am. Today there was no way I was going to be late.  We had scrambled eggs, sausage patties, fried potatoes, biscuits, blueberries and orange juice for this last meal together. Right after breakfast came the tearful goodbyes. Uncle Johnny and Aunt MaryLou left first with Aunt Sandra and Sarah just a few minutes after. Joan was with mom today. I went first to the 5th wheel to strip the beds from the last guest and took the sheets  and towels to the new barn apartment to use those laundry machines. The towels from that bathroom were taken to my house to wash. All of the dishes left from Sunday's dinner was brought over to our house. I turned on AC Central and saw that Jeff Waibel spoke Sunday in Leo so watched that as the machines were running.  That was another really good message and if you have the time you will want to watch it. Just click HERE if interested. The next big job was to clean up all the dishes from this mornings cooking and some of last nights big dishes. I filled the dish washer and started that but will need to do a second load later.  Thankful for that dishwasher.  The last two colts still needed to have their registration papers sent in and that paper work takes a while to fill out. I got it all ready to mail but right then the apartment booked for today and it still needed to be cleaned. Anna was going to come tonight but these guests would be coming in around 3 so I went up to start cleaning. Anna arrived to help with that so I went back to finish the laundry in the new barn, make the bed with the clean sheets in the 5th wheel and fold towels here then run them over to the new barn.  Israel and Elisabet were here playing up in the game room. A bit later they went to the lake to swim. It was really hot. Elisabet was using the small net and caught lots of minnows. 

I stopped in at mom's and was surprised to see Joan  taking a nap on the kitchen floor in front of the fridge. 
The true story is the fridge needed to be adjusted so the doors shut and Joan was adjusting the supports while Faith got tools for her and held the door. 
As soon as the apartment and 5th wheel were finished I drove the registration papers up to the post office as I wasn't sure how much postage it would require. It was only 90 cents to mail and I didn't have a dollar or that amount of change but found a $10.00 bill in my wallet. The next stop was the fill the gas tank on my car as it was showing below empty. The next stop was Kroger to pick up the treat for the Berean volunteers tomorrow. When I got home I saw the farmer driving the baler  up to the fields. By late this afternoon we had 33 beautiful big bales of hay that needed to be moved in and one bale that would need special attention.
The wrap broke on this one. I drove the golf cart over to Mike and Diane's to see if Mike could pick it up with his tractor as that has a claw loader but the tractor is not running right now. Mike thinks it will be done in 3 or 4 days. We will try ratchet straps. Diane was busy cleaning the cabin loft with their central vacuum. They built the stairs this weekend which makes it much easier to get up to the loft. They are not quite done.
Her next job was to give those two deer heads a good grooming.
I had to laugh it almost looked like they were enjoying that vacuum under the chin.
Mark was using the skid steer to move the bales but I wanted that to move last years bales in front of this years first cutting. I took the golf cart out to the field to catch him.
On the way back took the picture below and the video.
I used the tractor to put get one of the older bales wrapped with a hog panel and a second one ready to move in when Mark got here with the tractor. Those two bales were moved into the middle paddock then I used the skid steer and Mark took the tractor and we worked until it was too dark to see. I got the 13 older bales put in front of this years 1st cutting while Mark brought 3 bales that were the farthest away and together we were able to get 17 of this cutting inside and stacked quitting by 8:30 pm. We were both covered with hay and dust and I am really thankful for a good hot shower.  I'll have to finish tomorrow afternoon for the final 17 bales.

No comments:

Post a Comment