Thursday, December 22, 2022

Winter Storm Elliott

 It was a balmy 23 degrees when we awoke with just a bit of snow coming down. As soon as it was light enough to see we bundled up and went out to replace the heating element in Evan's automatic waterer. Winter storm Elliott arrived right then!  The snow started flying as Mark was working on that.  He had to replace the plug since the last heating element melted and burned the one going to the waterer. 

As this is a one man job I went to feed the weanlings and check on their hay. They have such thick coats the snow was landing on their back and sticking. 
Their bale wasn't going to last more than a day, I took the bale feeder off so what was left could be pushed forward leaving room for a new bale.
They were kept busy eating their grain while I worked in their shelter.
Success! 
I was not able to wrap this bale with the hog panel, the knots on the rope used to tie it shut had frozen solid. Instead I just cut the wrap off the top and will need to remove it when they eat most of this bale. Mark finished the waterer about the same time I finished with the bale. By this time it was almost 10:00 am and I was due at mom's by then. Since my car is at Zanes getting new headlights I bundled up and walked to mom's. The temperature had dropped dramatically and was just above zero by that time.  Zanes called at 11:30 to let me know the car was done. Karin arrived so I hiked home, grabbed the box of Bibles and studies from Berean just in time to meet Anna who was going to drive me to Zanes. When she turned into our drive she told me the roads aren't terrible not near as bad as our drives. The snow seemed to be accumulating on our drives much more quickly. She dropped me off at Zanes. The car was sitting outside the snow was slamming into the windows and since the car had been inside in the warmth the snow was melting, turning into ice and freezing solid in seconds. The bill was only $21.00. Turned out only one bulb needed replacement, the other was just unplugged. I  had to get the ice scraper out to clean off the window before I could head to the post office to drop off the Bibles and studies. I should have worn gloves for that job, my fingers were quickly freezing as by now it was 0. Jaimie sent me the picture below which fit:
The roads were becoming snow covered and slick for my way home. Thankful Mark put snow tires on this Prius and his Prius. They were for sure needed to get up our drive. Since I was bundled up and already outside gloves were put on and 4 loads of wood were brought in for the wood burners then both of them started. The warmth felt wonderful.
Love the sound of a fire crackling in the hearth.

There is something so cozy about sitting by the wood burners while a snow storm rages outside.

The picture below was taken around 4:00 pm, the snow is so dry with these below zero temps  it blows off pretty quickly, we only got about 3 inches so do not need to plow the drives. 
The picture below came up on a memory and will be shared here instead of Facebook. This was taken Oct 30th, 2016 and is my 2 daughters with their husbands. They had been out trail riding. I can't share it on Facebook because I can't remember which horses they were riding and can't tell from the picture.My guess is Sarah riding Jenis, Nolan riding Indy, Rhoda riding Ayanna and Lee riding Anna. 
My memory must be fading or maybe the horses just look alike. 

Now a beautiful song shared by our Minnesota friends.










 











No comments:

Post a Comment