Monday, August 30, 2021

A Winning Day

 Before the walk Rosalie and her filly along with Irish and her colt were brought into the stall barn, both foals were haltered. I have to say I was dreading this job. Rosalie's filly hasn't been haltered or tied since she was 3 weeks old and she is just HUGE now at 5 months of age.  She surprised me by standing still, letting me put the lead rope around her neck and then the halter on.  Next was Irish's colt and of course he just stood there while the halter was put on. By the time both foals were haltered there was exactly 3 minutes to get to mom's in time for the walk.  Diane and Beth are now in Gulf Shores, they drove down on Friday just in time for the hurricane while Joan got home on Saturday from Gulf Shores.  We had a good walk. Right after the walk Rosalie and Irish were driven out to Middle Grove leaving their foals here for weaning. That went exceptionally smooth. They traveled without calling, the herd was all up by the gate, the mares were glad to get out there and started grazing. When I got back Mori and I tied up both of the foals and again I was impressed with Rosalie's filly. She remembered her tying lessons from when she was 3 weeks old and didn't pull back at all. Irish's colt did pull back, reared up, fell down, bumped his right eye and scrapped his right hind leg drawing a little blood. None of his injuries were serious so they were both left tied for a few more minutes. Of course a few pictures were taken.




They were both standing quietly when we untied them a few minutes later.  At 8:00 am Hoerr vet clinic was called to schedule Dr. Hoerr for 5 Coggins tests for these foals ready to be weaned and unbelievable but he could come this afternoon!   Mori and I cleaned out the 2 horse trailers and parked them. I needed to leave for the Peoria Post office to pick up the Berean mail.  I had to go to Diane's office to pick up more Horsemeister checks and was able to do that before Dr. Hoerr was scheduled to arrive.  Mom had a hearing aid appointment at Costco about the time Dr. Hoerr was supposed to come so Joan took her. Mom said that went very well. I needed to bring in Soul, her filly, Lola, her colt and Jury and her colt get those 3 foals haltered and tied before Dr. Hoerr arrived and even that went well. Below is Soul's filly watching me bringing the water bucket (her toy) to the stall. 
Rockaway, Lola's colt was hard to get pictures of, he kept trying to be with me the entire time. It isn't easy taking a picture when moving away quickly. Below is the blurry picture of him after haltering him. 
All of the mares were up in the paddocks and all the foals were easy to halter except Jury's colt. He took a few minutes of fighting the lead rope until he gave up and let me put the halter on. Below is Jury's colt. 

I left the lead rope on him so I could easily tie him before Dr. Hoerr arrived.
 I was taking pictures of Soul's filly when Dr. Hoerr walked in. She was playing with the water bucket having a ball pulling it away from the stall wall and splashing the water. She was entertaining herself with that bucket of water for at least 10 minutes.
All 5 of the foals stood well for the blood draw. What good babies. Another win for the day. After Dr. Hoerr left the halters were removed from the foals and the mares and foals put outside so the stalls could be cleaned.  The two being weaned were fed and watered then I came up to the house to make dinner. Mark was out working with Mackenson in the new barn and after supper they went back out to work. They are cutting the 4'x8' insulation board down the middle making 2'x8' to go up against the inside of the barn for when the concrete is poured.
Below is one 8 foot section done, there are 31 more to do.
Such a good way to spend the evening. I spent my time killing tomato worms on both of the tomato plants. I can't believe how quickly they strip the leaves off the plant. I think I killed 20 of them. I did NOT disturb the garden spider. She was busy wrapping a grasshopper up for her winter dinner.
It is always amazing how huge these spiders are, when she finished wrapping the grass hopper she rested on the pod of the yucca plant.








No comments:

Post a Comment