Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Out of Control FIRE

Emily called to arrange to borrow the truck and trailer this morning to take Jury to Dr. Hoerr's for an ultrasound. She wanted help loading so while I was waiting for her I took a few pictures of Jewel's filly. She is 9 hours old in these pictures.





The walkers couldn't believe how big this filly is. She is now SOLD! The person buying her has been waiting for 2 years for a filly out of Jewel by Evan and is thrilled with her.  Next I pulled out Foxy's filly, she is 8 days old today and I needed some updated pictures for the website. She is pretty independent which drives Foxy crazy. Foxy is always running after her making sure she doesn't get too close to any other horse. 




Jury loaded right up for Emily.  As soon as they pulled out so did I driving to Meisters to pay the first of the month bills one day late.  From there I drove to Pekin for a visit to my favorite store Big R where I purchased 14 bags of sweet feed, each bag weighing 50 pounds. That is about weight limit the Prius can haul plus 14 bags pretty much fills the car. On the way home Gertie called to tell me she got a strange call from my mom and thought I should go make sure she was ok. I tried to call mom but her phone went straight to voicemail so drove right over to her house. She was fine, for some reason her phone made a pocket call to Gertie.  I drove over to the farm and had just finished unloaded the 700 pounds of grain, pouring it into the metal containers when mom called. A fire was burning out of control between Rachel's house and Joan's house. Neither were home and the fire was spreading quickly.  Mom had driven over to Joan's to check it out and by the time I got there I knew it was much more than we could handle and called 911 then grabbed a rake and shovel to try to stop the progress of the fire. It was much to hot to get close to and the smoke was thick. Rachel was sent a text and she got home before the fire trucks arrived and went to work trying to put out as much of the fire as her hose would reach. The picture below is where she was working. 
Above is facing Joan's house and below is facing Rachel's house. The smoke was so thick we couldn't even see her house. 
A police car and 3 fire trucks showed up with much needed hands AND water to help put the fire out.








 Joan, Faith, Mackenson and Berlica were at a field trip at the Wheel's of Time museum and made it back to find the firemen busy putting out the fire. 
 Joan went right to work with them firemen to help move dead logs out of the path of the fire. 

 These guys are the hero's of the day. 

We were really thankful they got here when they did and went right to work before the fire spread to either house or the woods. 

 The railroad ties were still burning when they left so Mackenson was keeping an eye on those. 
As soon as I got home I took the old truck and stock trailer to Middle Grove to meet Karin. We needed to bring in Madeira as she is due in 13 days. She is not at all bagged up but I don't want to wait to have her here as this will be her first foal. I also brought in Marika as she needs a new coggins and we have an appointment on Monday May 14th with Dr. Hoerr for ultrasounds. I'll call the office and add the coggins to the list of things to do.  Marika went right over to Evan and showed. She is in season right now. We have Marika for sale for $10,000.00 and will breed her for free to Evan BUT only if who ever buys her knows her history. Although placenta previa is rare and probably would never happen again.  After the stalls were cleaned and Jewel fed and watered Lola was covered by Valiant and Rosalie by Evan. I had a lot of work to do on my day off but got it all done.  
Mark drove mom and me to church tonight. Tim Funk had the service. At one point he was talking about Jesus washing the disciples feet and was explaining how it wouldn't be like today's feet, back then they would really be dirty and both mom and I had to chuckle. You see on Saturday Karin's feet were so dirty mom told her to put her shoes on before she goes into the house then today Rachel's feet were filthy as she was trying to put out the fire.
Country living at it's best! 

No comments:

Post a Comment