Saturday, May 19, 2018

Good By to Darla and Envy

With the electricity still out when we went to bed last night the coffee maker wasn't able to be programmed. Thankfully Mark got up at 5:00 and manually turned it on. I slept in until 5:20 am and woke just in time for a good cup of coffee. At 6:00 am Mark came with me up to the barn to help load Darla and Envy who were leaving for their new home today.  Both fillies stepped right into the trailer without any hesitation. THANKS Rhoda for having them practice yesterday. Nolan and Sarah were hired to drive them to Indiana to their new home. That trip went without incident and their owner Michael has promised to send update pictures. That is good since I forgot to take any yesterday or today. Darla was adorable as a newborn. She had such long thick curly hair.
She was the darling of the IL Horse Fair in March sticking her head out and begging for attention from the guests. 
We knew Envy was special the moment she was born. She had those cute tipped in ears along with a star. She was determined to be a STAR. 
 She was very tall, in fact I think she was the tallest filly born in 2017 here on the farm. She also had HUGE movement and an amazing amount of hair. 
We can't wait to see pictures of these girls when full grown. 
I had a full day planned needing to be at Kroger at 10:00 am to pick up 45 pounds of chicken salad for church lunch tomorrow which meant all the work needed to be done here by 9:30 am.  The first thing done was to let the mares out on the pond pasture so I could move in a new round bale in the middle paddock. Lily and Rosalie along with their foals were moved next to Evan so I could move in a new bale for them. Lola and her colt were left in a stall. That stall was pretty filthy this morning.  Madeira was turned out into the field behind Lily's paddock. Today was the first time turned out with her filly and she did very well. Once the 3 stalls used last night were cleaned, water bucket's dumped and new hay brought in I headed in to clean up for the trip to town.  Kroger had the chicken salad waiting and they also had strawberries on sale so I picked up 10 cartons of those each carton was 2 pounds but when I got to the car I looked at the receipt and I had been charged for 12. I debated if it was worth my time to go back into the store but the debate didn't take long when it was $5.00 at stake. Of course I went back to get the refund. I drove to church and put the chicken salad and the strawberries in the fridge.  Next I ran to Sam's Club. I wanted to buy 70 Cuties or Halo's, at least one for each tray except Sam's had NONE, now I was really glad I bought the strawberries but 10 containers are not enough I needed 6 more. Sam's had the same 2 pound cartons at twice the price of Kroger so I didn't buy them . I was able to get the 6 bags of potato chips,brownie bites, cinnamon rolls, 16 packs of 20 each croissants, coffee and bleach cloths. Those last two items were for Berean.  From there I drove to GFS and picked up 20 pounds of Bavarian ham and provolone cheese, a 2 pound bag of sliced bleached almonds, 2 bags of dried cranberries (which will be added to the chicken salad) and 2 boxes of fruit snacks. The next store was Aldi's to pick up 14 loaves of honey wheat bread and 2 more boxes of fruit snacks. The kids really like those so I thought it would be nice to have more than 1 on each tray. While unloading I lost my watch. It isn't a big loss, it was old but I liked it. From Aldi I drove to the church to unload all that food. Lots of trips up and down the stairs to get it all in. Then back to Kroger to pick up 6 more cartons of strawberries but those were taken home to my fridge, just have to make sure I don't forget them in the morning. Lee and Rhoda are picking up and bringing the 50 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts as they live in Bloomington. Mark just happened to also be shopping at Kroger and brought home 5 ears of sweet corn and some fish. Since it was WAY after lunch we decided to have supper early. I had just finished cooking and sat the food down on the table when my phone went off. It was Shannon from New Mexico. She got here early. Mark ate but I went up to the barn to meet her and show her her filly. Shannon bought Hadassah's filly and named her A Dreamy Ellagance, barn name Ella.  The name fits! 
We brought Hadassah and Ella into the stall, haltered her, picked up her hooves and pretty much touched her all over. They were then taken out to the arena to show her movement.  Later once those two were put back Evan was brought out to show off. He really didn't much at all. Evan has been pretty low key lately, must be all the work he is getting. Today he covered Soul.  Foxy is also still in and was covered by Valiant. Lily is for sure now out.  Sarah and Nolan made it back with no problem at all and brought a gift from Michael. It is a T-Shirt with his farm emblem embroidered on plus a most unique thankyou card. I'll have to get a picture of it in the daylight.  Mark is up at his garage removing the snow tires and putting on the summer tires on his car and on mine. I'm working on laundry this evening. That HAD to be done when one runs out of clean unmentionables one can no longer wait on that job.  I did the last run up to the barn to clean stalls, feed and water. The evening is so nice that Madeira and her filly were put outside in a paddock for the night. Lola's colt is feeling better so Lola and her colt were put in the field behind Lily's paddock. The stalls are all ready for tomorrow but if the morning is nice those horses will be left outside until we get home from church then brought in during the heat of the day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment