Thursday, January 12, 2023

Progress

 Ruth, Diane, Joan and I walked and got to hear all about Ruth's cruise. They had a wonderful time with perfect weather. Right after the walk Indy was loaded into the trailer and taken to Middle Grove. She took off at a gallop when we arrived. 

I could hear the honking of swans so went home the back way. Sure enough another huge flock was on the ground with more coming in. It was interesting while I was taking pictures, 4 pairs came gliding in to join the flock. Each pair came at different times.  I'm not sure if these were late comers or had gone to one of the lakes for a drink then came back. 
I parked down a side road to get a little closer without bothering them.

A part of the flock that was farthest from the road took off while I was there.
The truck was about out of gas and I don't like to leave it on empty in the winter so stopped at Casey's for gas.  Oh for some mean tweets about now. Take a quick guess at the total before the video stops. 
As soon as I got back the colt was checked. He is doing so well. He called a few times but was eating and drinking.
As he was doing so well I left for the DMV in Peoria to get new stickers for the truck and campers which all came due at the same time. That always takes a while but today I was pleased at how quickly I was able to get back.  Diane was with mom today so I took over some chicken and rice casserole for their lunch then went back to work with the colt. He was fascinated with the cat who was walking up and down the top of the stalls.
He was calm enough without his mom to eat out of my hands.
Mark came home from work and had forgotten his phone. Phil was still there and brought it home for him. We had fish cooked in the air fryer for supper then I went back up to work with the colt again. His halter was put on without much of a fight and he was given a tying lesson.  He obviously remembered from when he was a couple weeks old as he barely pulled back at all.
Once he realized he wasn't going anywhere he let me take a few burrs out of his ear and his mane.
I'm pretty thrilled with how well this first day of weaning went. He is making great progress.











No comments:

Post a Comment