Monday, January 9, 2023

Fail Trip

 The sky was just beautiful this morning right before we met for the walk. We can't see the sunrise but sure could see the pink ribbons of lit up clouds.

On the way back I stopped to take a picture of the actual sun reflecting off the lake.
After the walk I drove to the Peoria post office to pick up the Berean mail. There is more mail than usual so tomorrow should be a good day.  As soon as I got home the truck was hooked up to the 2 horse trailer for a trip to Middle Grove. Indy's colt is now 5 months old and should be weaned.  The ground was still frozen enough that I could drive the trailer back to the big field. That was left and the hike started to find the horses. The first two in sight were Mika and Lily.
They were coming out of the trees and heading toward the lake but when Mika saw me he stopped and waited for me to arrive.

The rest of the herd was coming so the video camera was turned on.

The video shows some of the problems of loading. Indy loaded right up but as she was being tied in the trailer Dancer jumped in. 

I climbed out then asked Dancer to get out. She did but by the time the colt had run back to the herd.
The trailer door was shut and I started hiking. Dancer refused to leave Indy and stood at the door waiting for someone to open it back up so she could get back inside.
Most of the herd followed me back up the trailer trailer but that wasn't good. Irish thought she could get in but then Jewel came and chased her off and got two front hooves in before she was shooed away. Dancer jumped back in so was taken out and tied to the side of the trailer then Missy came and tried to get inside. I promise they really do like living at Middle Grove but they LOVE trailer rides.  I tried for 4 hours to quietly let the colt step inside the trailer but didn't even come close. Indy was loaded and unloaded 5 times. Each time I would move her back into the trailer before the colt could nurse but the last time he just took off for the herd again. If interested in seeing the pictures click HERE. It was 3:50 pm so Indy was let loose and I started the long trip home with an empty trailer. I didn't want to haul in the dark and I know tomorrow is too busy to take Indy back so today was a complete failure. Mark was waiting for dinner by the time the trailer was parked back up at the barn and the car brought back down. Chicken soup and just heated up and served with chicken salad and crackers. The hot soup tasted great and warmed me up some but the fire Mark built in the wood burner is finishing that job. It was cold and windy at Middle Grove.  Lots of groups of migrating swans flew over head at Middle Grove while I was there.



 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment