Saturday, May 23, 2020

We Lost Roxanne

Early this morning I looked out my kitchen window and could see a mare laying down in the paddock. Immediately I thought there might be a problem but then the mare got up. Sarah and Nolan arrived for breakfast, we ate, then Anna and the girls arrived for breakfast and when everything was cleaned up the girls and I went out to feed the horses. We finished and the girls took off for the playground with our Airbnb family's children when I noticed Roxanne was laying down again and this time rolling in the mud. She was pulled out of the paddock and half way cleaned up before taking her out to the field to see if she would eat. Nope instead she wanted to roll. Not a good sign. She was given banimine and Dr. Hoerr's emergency number was called. Roxanne was obviously in a lot of pain by the time Dr. Hoerr got here. After examining her we made the decision she would need to be hauled to his clinic. We were hoping it was just impaction and not twisted small intestine but that hope left us as the day went on.


She was given 20 liters of fluid IV and 2 and a half gallons of fluid through tubing and lots of drugs. At 5:00 pm she took a turn for the worst and at 7:30 pm Dr. Hoerr made the decision to put her out of her pain. He is also going to bury her for us as the yanmar is out of commission. Roxanne was a beautiful 7 year old purebred Friesian mare.


She gave us 2 gorgeous foals both by Valiant, a colt we named Dublin and a filly named Giselle. Below are a few pictures of them.



We will miss her. 
In other news we had a nice day here for the first day of this Memorial Weekend. A rain shower came through but didn't drop a lot of rain and by the time I got back from the clinic it was past time for supper. We cooked brats and hot dogs. Spark's family was all at the playground so we stayed and visited but I really need to turn in early tonight. On the way back I stopped to snap a picture of the 3 fillies all waiting at the fence line for some attention.
How can I be discouraged when I have blessings every where I look. I am thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment