Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Storm


Everybody in our house was rudely awakened by a lighting strike to the house around 5:00am. I don't know the exact time, all the electricity went out along with the cable company, internet company, phone lines and computers. We forget how to live without all these things. Anyway we don't believe any permanent damage was done. The strike was so bright and the thunder so extreme we felt the sound waves hitting us. This is the 2nd time I can remember being in the house during a lighting strike. Sarah gets out of bed and comes to our room and said to us, "did you hear that?" Like we didn't? I think she was frightened that a tornado was coming as she made the coment the wind is coming from all directions.
I was on the road early taking Autumn to Indiana to be bred to Keegan again(nothing to do at home) and made it to our meeting place about 10 minutes to 10:00am. I wasn't suppose to meet Emily's husband until 10:30am so I thought I would have plenty of time but just as I was pulling up to the gas station, a truck and trailer was right behind me and it was Mr. Jewell. Autumn was too scared to get out of the trailer. The poor mare, I loaded her in the storm, I was driving east and kept up with the storm so we never got out of the lightning, thunder and torrential rains.
Steven got to the farm early, took care of Lily and Ciera and met the first load of gravel. He also checked Walker Sally for me and she is coming in season but not yet at a standing heat. The first load of gravel arrived, it didn't go as far as expected but I still am glad for it. I need to be at the farm before 2:00pm for the next load and hopefully the transporter will have time to get a 3rd today.
We still have no internet at home so if anyone emails me, it won't be answered for at least a day. I have to drive to the shop for internet.
4:00pm I just got back from the farm. I got to the farm around 1:00 and had some time to kill before the gravel came so I got Raven's shelter painted. Just the parts that really needed it. The gravel truck arrived just before 2 and the driver got stuck so I had to get the skid steer out and push him forward, then as long as it was out anyway I spread the gravel so we will have that much less to do tonight. Lily was finished with her hay so she ended up being fed early but I put in plenty so she will last the night. It is hot today and Lily is HOT! She has to wear this big belly band and heavy western saddle pad. I think tomorrow I will see if we can take it all off for a couple of hours and hose her off.

No comments:

Post a Comment