Sunday, June 14, 2009

Raven Collection


This morning I was up at 5:00am to call in the mares, drive out to the farm, care for Lily and get to the Bloomington AC Church by 8:30am to help Ben and Taunya serve lunch. It was their first time serving and it went great.
After lunch we headed to Peoria for Kyra Klopfenstein's wedding. We had to wait an hour in the reception line but it was so worth it. The reception was beautiful. Instead of wedding cake they had a chocolate fountain with huge strawberries, marshmallows and cookies to dip.
By the time we got home from the reception it was time to go back to care for Lily. I stopped at Family Dollar to buy large diapers for her bandage hoping this would be better than the pads I am using but once I got to the farm and opened them, I don't know. I'll have to have Steven Marchal check in the morning. He is going to be taking care of Lily for me tomorrow morning which will free me up to work on my paddock here at Bridlewood. It is hard to keep up with the manure if I don't work on it at least 3 times a week. Just as I was pulling in at home, the phone rang and Dr. Hoerr asked if he could come collect Raven for 3 mares. I turned around and headed right back to the farm. Raven's semen is very dense (full of sperm) and he gives enough on each collection to do multiple mares. This collection, after removing the jell factor was over 80 cc's of very viable dense semen. Raven just seems to get better with age. Dr. Hoerr is planning on coming back out later in the week for another collection. The good thing about Raven is that we don't even need a mare in season for him to be collected. He is ALWAYS ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment