Monday, July 18, 2022

Three Confirmed

 Ruth is now back to work so couldn't walk today. We kept up a brisk pace and finished a little early. I left right away for the Peoria post office to pick up the Berean mail and made it home with an hour to spare before I was to leave to pick up Madiera and Zena. Today was ultrasound day, I had 5 scheduled and Dr. Hoerr was due to come in the afternoon.  Just as I was removing the straight bar ball (the one used for the campers) to put on the drop down ball for the horse trailer Amy called and reported she had left her pills in the motorhome and asked would I get them. Since I didn't want to walk back to the house as soon as the new ball was on I just drove the truck over, found the pills, put them in the passenger seat of the truck. The horse trailer hooked up and getting in the truck when Joan called. The trailer repair placed called her to say they were ready for the motorhome.  Well Molly is borrowing that and we could not ruin her vacation so Joan asked if they could do the trailer repair first. They agreed, said the parts were in and it would be a quick repair. I told Joan I would be able to get it to them in an hour but first had to pick up Madiera and Zena in Kickapoo. That trip went without incident and as soon as they were put in a paddock I removed the drop down ball for the horse trailer and put on the straight ball for the camper, drove to Joan's picked that up and hauled it in to the trailer repair shop.  I was REALLY pleased when they backed it right into their shop.

Since I was very close to Bridlewood decided to just drive there and give Amy her pills instead of making her come out here.  Cathie met me when I pulled into to Bridlewood. It was good to see the old home place and I took a picture of Pleasant Home.
We opened the door to the barn and there was Amy's horse loose in the arena and Amy was on the ground. We both went running. It turned out Amy was asking Belle to step over the tarp but instead of stepping over the tarp Belle jumped the tarp, landed on top of Amy hitting her head, knocking her to the ground and stepping on her ankle. Amy had a cut on her nose and was knocked unconscious for just a moment but by the time we got there was awake and in a lot of pain. We cleaned her up removing the blood from her face, Cathie drove her truck into the arena and together we helped Amy into the truck.
Cathie took her to the hospital. They did lots of X-rays and a CT scan and found she had a small brain bleed. Amy just sent an update that they are keeping her overnight and have just put in an IV that isn't in right and is hurting her arm. 
I left for home and just as I was pulling into my drive the trailer repair place called to report they didn't have the right metal and they would need to order that and they were not going to be able to repair the trailer yet. What a disappointment. Dr. Hoerr didn't arrive until 7:00 pm. I had the 5 mares in stalls waiting and the ultrasounds went quick. First was Madiera. She is pregnant due May 30th, 2023. 
The sire of this coming foal is Valiant. Her 2022 filly by Valiant is spectacular, hopefully I can get some updated pictures of her tomorrow before hauling her and Madiera back to Kickapoo.  Next up was Rosaleigh. She too was confirmed in foal and she is due May 15th, 2023.
The sire of her coming foal is Evan.  Next was Oksana, now Oksana should have been coming into season yesterday if she was  not pregnant and she is not showing at all but Dr. Hoerr could not find an embryonic vesicle nor did she have ANY coming follicles on her ovaries. This was a strange finding strange enough that I hope she may be pregnant and will just keep her here and keep teasing her and if she doesn't come in season have her rechecked in a month. The next mare was Jewel and she is confirmed in foal due June 5th, 2023 and the sire of this foal is Evan.  
That is Oskana in the picture, Jewel and Oksana were sharing the stall for the ultrasounds.  Last up was Sheena. She had a cluster of 3 that Dr.Hoerr thought were more than likely cysts but couldn't rule out that one of those in the cluster may be an embryonic vesicle. She had a follicle of just 29 mm but a little edema so may be coming into season. I'll start teasing her tomorrow, if she is in season then the cluster is cysts. If she doesn't come in she will also need to be rechecked. So we have 3 confirmed and 2 maybes. The mares were put back in their paddocks but I'll clean stalls tomorrow, it was much too late tonight. The colt still needed to be fed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment