Tuesday, July 19, 2022

A Reprieve

 On our walk this morning I had them stop to look at Jewel's filly. She must have injured her hock while we were on our camping trip and because I was busy I didn't check on them until Tuesday night.  I've been watching the hock, thinking first it must have been a wound but could never find any opening. Then thought it must be an injury but this morning thought it might be joint ill which usually comes on with an umbilical cord infection. The filly is a month old so that just didn't seem to be the case.  After everyone looked at her they thought it was time to put her down so I left for the Berean office believing this was her last few hours alive. To be honest I didn't think she was at that point but both Diane and Mike thought she must be in tremendous pain and felt we could not leave her that way. Once I was home later this afternoon I sent Mike a text, he drove the yanmar over to dig the hole first and I brought Jewel and her filly out. Mike saw her eating grass, nursing, getting up and laying down and walking and even a bit of trot and realized she was not in as much pain as he thought this morning so decided to just watch her. She gets a reprieve! When I put them back out, Jewel took off and the filly cantered right behind her. 

I will start treating it with dmso to see if I can bring down the swelling as water isn't working.  The website was changed as she is no longer for sale.  Getting back to our morning. Beth came with mom and I to the Berean office to help with mom but ended up helping at Berean too. We had a lot of fun there but had to quit early as the Unsickers had to turn the water off to the building. If you would like to read about our morning there click HERE. After dropping mom and Beth off at mom's house Madiera and her filly were loaded into the trailer and they were taken to Kickapoo. I won't be going back there until they are ready to wean Zena.  As soon as I got home from Kickapoo Rosaleigh and her filly Tessa were loaded and taken to Middle Grove.  
Rosaleigh was thrilled to be back, I thought she would spend some time grazing but instead took off right up the hill to try to find the herd. It was after I got home from that trip that Mike came over to dig the grave for Jewel's filly. The hole is there but I hope and pray it can be filled back in. This evening Mike and Diane came over to help get Sheena covered by Valiant. It was a successful cover and was marked down. I'll try her again on Thursday morning. Oksana and her colt were moved in with Sheena and Loxley and Oksana also started to show.  Dr. Hoerr could not find any large enough follicles on her yesterday so I'll wait a couple days before trying to cover her with Evan. There was good progress today on the barn. In other news Amy is home from the hospital. She has one black eye instead of the 2 I expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment