Friday, November 12, 2021

A Big Loss

 Last night Mike took a crew out to Middle Grove to transfer the horses from the summer pasture back to the winter pasture. On Monday they discovered the back gate had been unlocked and left open and of course the horses found  the open gate. We don't want them in the summer pasture because of the hunters. Mike mentioned there were only 15 horses out there but I told him there had to be 16 because of Indy's filly and right then he exclaimed, "there was no baby out there!"  He thought I had brought them all back. I left early this morning for Middle Grove to start the search just hoping he just didn't see her.  When I turned on Middle Grove road I could see something in the road and realized as I was passing it that it looked just like a saddle pad. I stopped and put it in the car because it was OUR saddle pad. It must have blown out of Mike's truck on his way  home last night.

The herd was not in sight but after hiking up the hill I could see them in the distance and could not see a foal with them. Lily was the first mare I came to. She was grazing a little distance from the others. When I turned I could see Indy also by herself with Irish a little distance away. That wasn't a good sign at all.
I went right over to check her udder and was very disappointed to see it was obvious that a foal had not been nursing recently. Her udder wasn't stretched tight but not flat and she still had milk. That meant the foal has been missing for at least 3 days or more. Today is Friday and last Friday all was well so the gate was either left opened Saturday or Sunday as Monday they were discovered in the wrong pasture. Some of the herd were spread out grazing. Below the 4 grays are Sangria, Cookie, Soul and Jury. Jewel is in front of Missy and Mika is to her right. 
Rosaleigh came up for attention. 
Up by the gate (this is the gate that had been unlocked and left open were a few more of the horses. Left to right is Madiera, Big Rosalie, that is Oksana's big rear end in front of Indy who had walked over to be with the Oksana. 
It was really cold and windy and had been spitting snow on the way out but the sun broke through a bit as I started hiking. I spent all morning hiking and searching for the filly's body in the winter pasture. There is no way Indy would have left her if she was alive. It was strange that there were no buzzards flying around.  Hopefully Mike can take the 4 wheeler out and search the summer pasture. I just can't believe this happened and kept hoping I would find her sleeping somewhere. This filly really was special. She was the most beautiful foal of 2021. She was curious,
had the mega hair,
very athletic,
and had beautiful movement.
I hope we can find her body or I will always wonder, what happened to her. She was sold so the owner was notified and we will send back the deposit of course. Of course my mind goes to "if only I had brought them home last week."  Those if onlys are not good to dwell on. As soon as I got home the saddle pad was taken over to the cabin then I headed to the apartment to get that ready for the 5 guests coming in tonight. The snow was coming down and when it hit my face it hurt.
The picture above was taken while cleaning the barn and below was taken from the front porch.
None of the snow stuck but it sure was cold and windy.
Ruth was with mom this morning and when she asked if she would like a shower mom replied, "I could give YOU one too." then started laughing. She was having a really good day. Below is one of the walk this morning. 
She got a little impatient with how slow she could move the wheel chair so Aunt Jinnie recommended trying to go backward. She picked up speed on that.
After lunch I went over and was really surprised at how much better she was at walking today. Each day she improves.  Ruth wanted to try some transfers from the wheel chair into her car but the weather was so awful that was put off today.  This afternoon laundry was done and since it was so chilly I made a pot of soup. We had some for supper along with bbq chicken and stuffing.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind about losing Indy's filly. She turned 4 months old so could would be able to survive without Indy but I know Indy would never had left her. This is a big loss for us.












No comments:

Post a Comment