Wednesday, August 28, 2019

TOO Much Imagination

A notice came in early this morning that the dna results for Soul's colt could not be performed as something happened to the hair I sent in. That meant a trip out to Middle Grove this morning as we need those registration papers before the colt is weaned and goes to his new home.  Right after the walk I left taking the camera, an envelope for the hair and driving the car as no horses needed to be transported on this trip. Now comes the scary part and yet maybe it was all a coincidence. I was driving west on 116 and a white pickup truck started tailing the car. Since the speed limit is only 55 and the cruise was set I expected the truck to pass but it didn't.  At Farmington I pulled into the gas station to fill up and the truck followed me. I thought that was weird as the driver didn't pull up to get gas but just parked in front of the station. I filled the car's gas tank and got ready to head back west on 116, looked behind me and that same truck was again right behind me, way too close.  At that point evasive action was taken and I immediately got in the left turn lane and quickly turned left. The truck didn't have time to turn and went straight but I was pretty sure the driver was trying to turn at the next possible. The car was quickly taken back to 116, crossed that and into the other side neighborhood and out of sight of 116.  That was the last time I saw the pick up truck so all of this may have just been my imagination but when I got to Middle Grove I drove through the gates of the winter pasture into the summer pasture and hid the car before hiking up to find the horses, all the while pondering if just maybe I have too good of an imagination. I admit to looking back quite often on the way up the hill and had goose bumps during the evasive action.
The herd was not at the top but before hiking the ridge I noticed something white at the far clump of trees.
Those white horses really make it easy to find the herd as long as they stay with the herd.  Soul, Lola and Galena noticed me coming first.  I was sure the foals would be near by but none of them were in sight. Evidently I arrived during nap time.




 That warm sunshine after a cool night make for good sleeping and if they weren't laying down taking naps, they were ready to lay down and take a nap.
It is nice to see the herd all relaxed. If you would like to see the rest of the pictures from the trip to Middle Grove click HERE. As soon as I got home the hair from Soul's colt was mailed to UC Davis in California then the weanlings were cared for.  They were each haltered and moved into a clean stall with fresh water, hay and grain. They are doing great.
Mark came home a little early from work to work on the cutting up more of that downed tree limb.  He quit for supper, the went back out and worked until it was time to get ready to go to church.  The weanlings have stopped calling for their mom's and are now happy to see me coming with more grain. They are doing very well and can probably be moved into a paddock tomorrow afternoon.  Diane and mom joined us tonight. Greg Rumbold had the message.  We all stayed late visiting and have just now made it home and will head straight to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment